PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor keeps blowing fuses

rkinsey
5th July 2012, 02:16 PM
Hi guys. A while ago (over 12 months) I purchased a no named brand Air Compressor to go into my recovery kit. Got it for $80.00. Not a bad buy I thought at the time and other than taking a long time to pump up a tyre (They all do apparently) it works quite well.

However, it keeps blowing the inline fuse after about two minutes of use (30 Amp) and I recieved info that if I change the power cables to a larger core cable that this would fix the problem.

Im no sparkie, but, the 30 Amp fuze wont change and if the unit is still drawing the same current then it wont matter how big the cable core is, it will still blow the fuse. Am I correct?

(I was going to just buy one of those engine mount compressors that run off the fan belt and be done with it.)

Cheers,

Rob

Bulbous
5th July 2012, 03:08 PM
Just get a decent compressor.
As you say, it takes a long time to pump up a tire, it has a 30 amp fuse.
I have a BushRanger BlackMax. It has a 27 Amp fuse, it DOES NOT take a long time to pump up a tyre. I can do all 4 of my tires form 10 PSI back to 35 in less than 15 minutes. I can then help pump up the tires of other guys who saved money on their compressor.

macca
5th July 2012, 03:15 PM
Mate as the volts go down the amps go up.
Add heat, increases resistance in the cables & connections etc = less volts at the compressor.
That set up Cuppa buying will pump a 33" tyre from 22 to 36psi in 60 seconds maximum 90 seconds.
Endless air is probably the ultimate system though.

threedogs
5th July 2012, 04:11 PM
how many lt/ min does it pump, minimum 6mm wire with a thermal cut out, is pump mounted or using off battery. If mounted in the back you'll get voltage drop, thus the need for heavier wire. sometimes when mounted in engine bay they get too hot and cut out. wouldn't think a big problem to sort out

rkinsey
5th July 2012, 05:07 PM
how many lt/ min does it pump, minimum 6mm wire with a thermal cut out, is pump mounted or using off battery. If mounted in the back you'll get voltage drop, thus the need for heavier wire. sometimes when mounted in engine bay they get too hot and cut out. wouldn't think a big problem to sort out

Cheers Threedogs. Its one that runs off of the battery (Portable 12v job) I think its the cables that are the issue. They are smaller than 6mm and get very hot. (Cheep Chinese import...) Almost to the point of melting the insulation if used for an extended period of time. Its good enough to get me out of trouble but I think only at the bare minimum.

Its what happens to one that doesnt do his homework first before purchasing. Ah, another lesson learnt. I will see how I go with larger core cables (Will have to make some up) and a volt meter.

threedogs
5th July 2012, 06:09 PM
Get a twin head job, they pump 150 lts a min, will have tyres up in no time, I use the big black pump but it's overkill. but a hoot of a pump, you might also think of running external air outlets back and front then you only need 2 mtrs of hose, with a tank on inside of the chassis rail, just ideas to toss around, good luck, some pumps drag 45-60 amps an hour, read the label