PDA

View Full Version : Tyres+Water

nissannewby
4th July 2012, 07:56 PM
Hey guys having done this myself on tractors and what not just wondering if anybody has tryed this for offroading obviously the extra weight down low would help with stability etc any though comments appreciated.

AB
5th July 2012, 09:14 PM
Not much help mate but here's my thoughts...

Never done it myself but maybe not a good idea with water not been able to compress when hitting rocks and bumps, etc. I would think rims would pop, etc...

You would get balancing issues too if only half filled.

nissannewby
5th July 2012, 09:28 PM
yeah not to worried about balance as they wont ever be used on road. I think rust would also play a factor as well. I have toyed with the idea i might just give it a go atleast if there is water in there it wont ever go flat lol.

AB
5th July 2012, 09:29 PM
Purely off road then yeah not sure mate...Interesting to find out though...LMAO

nissannewby
5th July 2012, 09:34 PM
Ill give it a shot and let you know what i come up with.

Finly Owner
5th July 2012, 09:37 PM
Water intubes would be better. Stops rust. And water rotatinginside wheel will actully self balance under centrifigal forces I believe as does oil in a tailshaft. Yes, definately don't fill beyond 60% with water. You can buy the cheap water filling adaptor that fits the valve stem.
Have the wheel stding up with valve stem at 1 o'clock. Fill till water auto exits valve stem. Then put the valve back in,and fill with air.

Tim

growler2058
5th July 2012, 10:32 PM
I dunno why but the idea bothers me
I did grow up on farms with slow movin tractors with water in the tyres

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?njqfws
Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Finly Owner
5th July 2012, 10:35 PM
I dunno why but the idea bothers me
I did grow up on farms with slow movin tractors with water in the tyres

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?njqfws
Tap, Tap.......Who's there?
I hear ya, But Dingos and Kangas etc move fairly quickly and can have water-filled tyres.Although they are low. But, Slow crawl ing patrols should be ok.

Tim

nissannewby
6th July 2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah any weight as close to the ground is good plus for low range stuff it may help have that extra weight to push the suspension a little further. I am willing to give it a go as I havent really heard much about people doing it for 4wding.

my third 256
8th July 2012, 10:28 AM
Water intubes would be better. Stops rust. And water rotatinginside wheel will actully self balance under centrifigal forces I believe as does oil in a tailshaft. Yes, definately don't fill beyond 60% with water. You can buy the cheap water filling adaptor that fits the valve stem.
Have the wheel stding up with valve stem at 1 o'clock. Fill till water auto exits valve stem. Then put the valve back in,and fill with air.

Tim
aggree with tim definatly put inner tubes in and will save the rims

nissannewby
8th July 2012, 10:32 AM

Tim

Do you know where to get these adaptors from tim?
Cheers

threedogs
8th July 2012, 10:43 AM
Would have to be what, 10 ltrs plus, thats an extra 10 kg a corner, maybe ok for the slow stuff, do you really think you'd get much of an advantage out of it. I'm thinking of the drive home and effect on braking. you can get lead powder to balance knarly mud pattern tyres.

nissannewby
8th July 2012, 10:53 AM
The car its going to happen to is going to retire to a trailer queen soon so that side of it isnt a bother. I havent heard of anyone who has tried and im just gonna give it a go for my own experience sometimes it is the only way to learn lol

threedogs
8th July 2012, 11:02 AM
Ok Sounds good now, pushing the envelope so to speak, I was thinking of filling tyres with Helium but only for touring duties, worked out to be $60 a tyre I think, cheaper to rent a bottle. Look forward to your results

Finly Owner
9th July 2012, 11:23 PM
Do you know where to get these adaptors from tim?
CheersAuto shops, but you'll have toask someone with some intelligence.

Tim

Finly Owner
9th July 2012, 11:25 PM
Ok Sounds good now, pushing the envelope so to speak, I was thinking of filling tyres with Helium but only for touring duties, worked out to be $60 a tyre I think, cheaper to rent a bottle. Look forward to your resultsNow that wouldbe fuel saving as car should float o ground!

Tim

threedogs
9th July 2012, 11:27 PM
What about tractor supply shop???????????

Finly Owner
9th July 2012, 11:37 PM
What about tractor supply shop??????????? Maybe...never thougt aboutthem.........

Tim

1MadEngineer
10th July 2012, 04:23 PM
we run water in our comp truck, 40" tires filled to the top of the rim! Just make sure you have decent chromo cv's. We have also run steel shot - about 80-120lbs per tire. steel shot is better for comps as if you do have a puncture you don't get a DNF for fluid loss. Its great for traction and climbing as the tire is now like a deadblow hammer and doesn't bounce off like a standard tire. If you urn steel shot then you need to add graphite powder to get the shot to 'run'.
HTH
Greg

Tank
11th July 2012, 06:32 AM
I did some driving spreading fert at one point and they changed to putting water in the tyres, worked well but made life harder on the brakes and did break drive line stuff due to the extra weight

1MadEngineer
11th July 2012, 02:35 PM
also forgot to mention, if you have the driveline strength, when belly up you spin the wheels hard and then hit the brakes, the inertia throws weight forward and can sometimes un-stick you.

nissannewby
11th July 2012, 03:16 PM
Cheers mate I am running a chromo front end and only 35x10.5 tyres. Is the improvement weel worth it?