PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 turbo diesel intercooler

nallington
4th July 2012, 07:48 PM
Hi guys
fitting a 3inch exhaust to my patrol GU 4.2 turbo diesel wagon and would like to also increase turbo pressure i am told if i increase the turbo pressure will need an intercooler as we tow a 23 foot caravan if this is so wheres the best place to find one i am told there is space under the front of the car for an intercooler,
thanx for any help

Neil

Ben-e-boy
4th July 2012, 08:18 PM
I would put a top mount intercooler on as a front mount will raise your coolant temp by an average of 7 degrees, not much I know but it could be the difference between overheating or not and could be worse with a cheap ebay piece of junk. for quality set aside $1500 for a PWR or a crosscountry or A.R.E. (alluminium radiators and engineering) for mid range set aside about $800 half that if you want crap.
my opinion is ARE they are top shelf world class standard gear

Bambill
4th July 2012, 09:55 PM
I would put a top mount intercooler on as a front mount will raise your coolant temp by an average of 7 degrees, not much I know but it could be the difference between overheating or not and could be worse with a cheap ebay piece of junk. for quality set aside $1500 for a PWR or a crosscountry or A.R.E. (alluminium radiators and engineering) for mid range set aside about $800 half that if you want crap.
my opinion is ARE they are top shelf world class standard gear

How did you work out that a front mount intercooler will raise engine temps by 7 deg on average?
Also there is nothing wrong with the cheaper coolers.
I have a front mounted 550x180x127mm tube and fin intercooler (cheaper one) on my GU ute, that keeps intake manifold tempatures around 10-15deg above ambient when cruising.
And even when trying to cool 30psi of boost the most I have see in the intake manifold is around 78 deg, down from 154 deg pre cooler.
I have not experienced any increase in engine tempatures with any of my front mounted intercooler setups I have tried, either bar and plate or tube and fin.
The cooler setup I have at the moment cost me around $400 including pipework.

Marty

nissannewby
4th July 2012, 11:18 PM
If there is an increase in engine temps with a front mount even by 7 deg it would still be much more beneficial to have cool air over it all the time at the front. Top mount suffer an extreme amount of heat soak as everyone knows hot air rises, so the engine will be cooler but charge temps will be higher. Being that your towing i would go for a front mount or air to water setup. Both should be the largest practical and the water to air needs to have a nice big heat exchanger. Ben-e-boy has stated some very good quality brands their gear is second to none and not being bought on the internet their backup should be better give some of above companies a call and have a good chat to em about what path they recommend.

Bambill
5th July 2012, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't use a W/A intercooler again.
They are far too complex for such a simple device, and way to expensive to setup properly.
I did read recently that Safari are still selling there front mount IC but at $1650 for such a small setup it is way over priced, but is bolt in.
ASE have a front mount for around the $950 mark also which is proberly better value.
But it can be done cheaper if you are willing and able to do it yourself.

Marty

Ben-e-boy
5th July 2012, 06:18 AM
How did you work out that a front mount intercooler will raise engine temps by 7 deg on average?
Also there is nothing wrong with the cheaper coolers.
I have a front mounted 550x180x127mm tube and fin intercooler (cheaper one) on my GU ute, that keeps intake manifold tempatures around 10-15deg above ambient when cruising.
And even when trying to cool 30psi of boost the most I have see in the intake manifold is around 78 deg, down from 154 deg pre cooler.
I have not experienced any increase in engine tempatures with any of my front mounted intercooler setups I have tried, either bar and plate or tube and fin.
The cooler setup I have at the moment cost me around $400 including pipework.

Marty

there is alot of tech on the ARE website and I'm also getting work done and have had alot of advice given to me by them they have spent 10's 0f thousands in R&D ah have all the paper work to that I'm very picky about the motor on my ute and have done research myself on getting the best for it. I have no doubt that your intake temps are good at cruising speed, but old mate tows a heavy van.

johno90
8th July 2012, 09:10 AM
Ive just finished installing a water to air setup on my gq and it makes a huge difference to intake temps while not effecting the coolant temp in any way. I've mounted my heat exchanger to the bonnet fed by a fan and scoop, also a pump to push the water around. whole system cost me $300 from frozen boost.com and the kit is rated for cars up to 600hp.

Bambill
8th July 2012, 02:56 PM
Johno90, I would be interested in seeing some intake tempatures?

nallington
8th July 2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys for the info much to digest

madk1w1
13th July 2012, 01:06 PM
Ive just finished installing a water to air setup on my gq and it makes a huge difference to intake temps while not effecting the coolant temp in any way. I've mounted my heat exchanger to the bonnet fed by a fan and scoop, also a pump to push the water around. whole system cost me $300 from frozen boost.com and the kit is rated for cars up to 600hp.
Johno how about some install pics?
just had a look on frozen boos, $300 + $170 freight still a reasonable price

PattyWgnOwen
14th July 2012, 09:55 AM
I am in Brisbane and just wondered if anyone that has done a big hp upgrade still has their factory intercooler laying around? Willing to pay for it if in good condition with support frame and tubing?? See profile for contacts.

Lowy44
8th November 2012, 03:08 PM
Some I/C picks of both types, top and front mount would be good????

PattyWgnOwen
8th November 2012, 03:48 PM
pics of my ARE top mount and oversized scoop. It works a heap better than teh front mount that I ripped out, because I could not get enough airflow through all the rads.

DieselSmart
8th November 2012, 06:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I can supply top mount intercoolers with bonnet scoops all supporting brackets and everything you need to install it for $1345 including freight. 280 x 240 x 76mm core size. This kit is designed for cars that do not come with intercoolers from factory. It is slightly cheaper if you're after a system for a car that was previously intercooled. These intercoolers are around 80% bigger than factory.

here is a picture of one fitted. The car that this is fitted to has a GTX28 Garret turbo making 210RWKW @25PSI.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/28.jpg