PDA

View Full Version : No luck.

GQ snail
3rd July 2012, 09:49 PM
So threw the timing belt on the GQ on the weekend, thinking maybe some valves and should be ok. How wrong I was, spent two days pulling head off to find the most horrific thing, destroyed cam shaft, rooted hydrolic lifters, numerous valves bent and unknown if any bottom end damage. Now on the hunt for a second hand motor, even considering doing drive lines and upgrading to a 4.2, really all unknown. Any thoughts?

Richo460
3rd July 2012, 09:54 PM
crickey mate, not good news. Was it the 2.8 litre?
Doing the motor gearbox upgrade might be easier if you can find and engine for the right price.

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 10:01 PM
WOW that doesn't sound cheap, complete motor box transplant if you can find one at the right price.

GQ snail
3rd July 2012, 10:01 PM
crickey mate, not good news. Was it the 2.8 litre?
Doing the motor gearbox upgrade might be easier if you can find and engine for the right price.

Yeah is the 2.8, great motor untill this. Lol. Yeah hoping to find good deal on a 4.2 and slip it in. Sell the left overs from 2.8 and not be to far behind.

Is the change from 2.8 to 4.2 hard? Or is it straight bolt up?

the ferret
3rd July 2012, 10:20 PM
I feel for ya mate, if they go when driving, which they mostly do, the damage is big.
idlers, tensioner bearings don't last a lifetime as they move pretty quick, faster than a wheel bearing.
When changing the timing belt, it's a must to replace these, and ONLY with genuine.
So Guys, if your belt has done 100.000 ks, change it NOW, save some real pocket pain lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

nissannewby
4th July 2012, 07:10 PM
Thats no good mate. I would be certainly looking at a upgrade to the 4.2. If it does cost a little more it wont be a lot more than rebuilding the 2.8. There are plenty of threads around for conversions to the 4.2 but all in all will be a worth the effort in the long run. Plus no more timing belts :)