PDA

View Full Version : Diesel pump leak

Gazza96
3rd July 2012, 09:24 PM
Hi guys
2.8 Gq std
Underneath the pump it a flat block off that has 2 bolts mine it appears to be leaking deisel from there, some times fast drip other times not much at all, anyone had this same leak? I'm not sure what's behind the blank of plate so haven't been keen enough to remove it as have no manuals for pump etc.

the ferret
3rd July 2012, 10:27 PM
If it's the one on the side, toward the front, then it's the advance plate "0" ring
PM Nizzbits and he will send you one.
Cheers, the ferret

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/001-5.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/004-3.jpg

Gazza96
4th July 2012, 06:23 AM
thanks Ferret yep thats the plate! so just a O ring is there anything going to fall out when i remove that plate?

the ferret
4th July 2012, 09:57 AM
thanks Ferret yep thats the plate! so just a O ring is there anything going to fall out when i remove that plate?

No it's cool mate, nothing falls out.
Two M6 bolts, fit the "0" ring to the plate and slide it on, that way it's easier to seat the "0' ring.
Cheers, the ferret.

Gazza96
4th July 2012, 04:40 PM
ok i removed this plate............. what a bastard!! umm the Oring is square shouldered flat sided if that makes sence? is a std Oring ok to replace these?
BTW i dont have any idle or hard to start issue when warn so i am only replacing the Oring.

the ferret
4th July 2012, 05:18 PM
ok i removed this plate............. what a bastard!! umm the Oring is square shouldered flat sided if that makes sence? is a std Oring ok to replace these?
BTW i dont have any idle or hard to start issue when warn so i am only replacing the Oring.

Yeah, it's easier if you take the battery out, the "0"ring is a special shape, but any "0" ring the same size should get you out of trouble.

Order the correct one through Nizzbits or go to a seal shop and see if you can find the correct one.
Cheers, the ferret.

MC97GQ
4th July 2012, 05:51 PM
Gazza,

I had a similar problem on my TD42, I just bought a O ring selection from the local Auto Store and picked one out to suit, and it's been nearly 12 months with no problems.

Here is a link to my original posthttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4915-Fuel-Pump-Leak&p=167466

I hope this helps

Mark

Gazza96
5th July 2012, 05:17 PM
Hi guys
I got a std O ring same size put it in fitted perfect ... But wouldn't start removed the oring put original back in at started first hit.. But leaked This is cold start not hot... So I'm sure it don't require the warm start modified plate.... Any ideas?

the ferret
5th July 2012, 05:43 PM
Hi guys
I got a std O ring same size put it in fitted perfect ... But wouldn't start removed the oring put original back in at started first hit.. But leaked This is cold start not hot... So I'm sure it don't require the warm start modified plate.... Any ideas?

As I mentioned before mate, the o ring is available from Nizzbits, the genuine one is the correct shape, fit the correct one and you won't have a problem.
It is very important to centralise the o ring and make sure the plate is not pitted as they often are..
Cheers, the ferret.

Gazza96
6th July 2012, 08:22 PM
Bought genuine oring and mod plate installed it.... Still drips and very noisy diesel sound from engine, swapped back to std plate and engine sounds much better but still drips grrr anyone know a honest diesel mech in Brisbane ??

the ferret
6th July 2012, 08:32 PM
All I can think of now is that the pump housing is cracked, the new advance plate and o ring should have solved the leak, If the motor sounds noisy, it's probably too advanced.
You may need to dress the mountng face to promote a better seal with the o ring.
Cheers, the ferret.

Gazza96
7th July 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi ferret
Setup 2 huge flood lights around fuel pump and found the real leak, there is a nut top middle front of the pump sits against
Timing cover, the leak is coming from under the nut, you cant remove the nut unless the pump is off but you can give it 4 turns to get about 3mm clearance to drop some gasket goo down there , I've done this but still leaking so I'm guess a hair line crack around there somewhere.

nissannewby
7th July 2012, 02:23 PM
There was someone else on here who had the same issue i will find the thread and put a link up. Its actually an o-ring on your governor shaft, that nut is just a lock nut. This is a pump off and disassembly job which is best left for the professionals.

nissannewby
7th July 2012, 02:25 PM
Here you go mate check this out also have a look at the detailed assembly link in this thread also. Hope this helps.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12537-Any-decent-diesel-mech-s-on-this-site

the ferret
7th July 2012, 02:25 PM
Ok Gazza, you need to wind the nut back as far as you can, then wrap good quality gas fitters thread tape around the bolt then tighten, if you have fuel leaking, gasket goo will not do the job, it will wash away.
Cheers, the ferret.

Gazza96
7th July 2012, 08:29 PM
Time to find a good diesel pump service guy in Brissy , thanks so much for the help Ferret & Nissannewby this site is worth its weight in gold some times hard to explain your problem but you guys seem to kmow uy stuff.

the ferret
7th July 2012, 08:43 PM
Try the thread tape mate, it may just save you a grand.
Cheers, the ferret.

nissannewby
7th July 2012, 09:26 PM
If the thread is turned by accident and rotates the governer shaft this could cause more issues than he already has. If he only wants the leak fixed it shouldnt cost anymore than a few hundred.

Gazza96
7th July 2012, 09:31 PM
nissannewby you sound like you know alot about these pumps do you do work on them?

nissannewby
7th July 2012, 09:33 PM
Im a diesel fitter by trade and being in the industry helps with all this sort of stuff. I would love to be able to actually work on the pumps to get an even better understanding of them and how they work.

Gazza96
7th July 2012, 09:38 PM
guy on QLD 4x4 on facebook has a pump for $350 .. his name is Damo think he must own a wreckers he is always selling stuff.. my worry is mine runs great except for leak , i i get another pump could have same issues.

nissannewby
7th July 2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah i wouldnt get a secondhand pump. I can get pumps done depending on what needs to be replaced from 800-1600. 1600 is about the extreme of it when shafts and everythings gotta be replaced.

Gazza96
7th July 2012, 10:34 PM
ahh ok cool.. if you know someone you would recommend to do the work PM me!

Gazza96
8th July 2012, 04:50 PM
Do indeed any special tools to remove pump from car?

nissannewby
8th July 2012, 04:54 PM
Nuh mate should be able to get it off with normal tooling. However make sure you line all timing marks up with NO.1 at TDC

Gazza96
8th July 2012, 05:06 PM
Timing belt or chain I have no manuals.. Bought a service manual on gum tree and it never had 2.8 supplement grrr

nissannewby
8th July 2012, 05:09 PM
Im pretty sure they are a belt. You have your 25 posts so grab the free one from here.

the ferret
8th July 2012, 05:21 PM
Timing belt or chain I have no manuals.. Bought a service manual on gum tree and it never had 2.8 supplement grrr

Timing belt, tensioner and idler on the 2.8.
Cheers, the ferret

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/2_8Timing.jpg