PDA

View Full Version : Maybe bearing problem.

Mrs Ronnieh
2nd July 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi
Rear wheels are getting hot- both sides and instant thought was bearings. Two at once???

Problem is that when you drive it feels like the brakes are still on. Another thought-- handbrake was not letting go.

Any thoughts on this.

Cheers
Ronnie

97_gq_lwb
2nd July 2012, 06:07 PM
Jack it up and see if you can turn the rear wheels by hand.

nissannewby
2nd July 2012, 07:37 PM
The handbrakes are terrible when going forwards on a GQ lol. Check the hand brake is releasing and isnt adjusted up to tight. As above jack it up chock front wheels you will most like have to jack both wheels off the ground at the same time?

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 07:42 PM
Maybe the caliphers are sticking and the pads can'y retract? Are the discs discoloured

Mrs Ronnieh
2nd July 2012, 07:59 PM
Hi
Ty-- will jack up and see what happens. had a quick look tonight and discs look ok. Just don't think its bearings as its both wheels. Would be unusual to have both go at same time wouldn't it.

What side does handbrake cable run.??

Ronnie

nissannewby
2nd July 2012, 08:01 PM
Doesnt run down the side she goes to the g/box end of the tail shaft.

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't it be making a noise if it was bearings??????

Morton
2nd July 2012, 08:16 PM
first, since you have made no mention of weird noises I can assume it is not ur bearings, failing bearings have a distinct noise, second its not your handbrake, the handbrake is not connected to your rear brakes as in conventional cars, it is connected to the rear of the gearbox, third, drum or discs, if drums, have you adjusted them recently, otherwise take it to a brake shop unless u really know what your doing, have them fix it, to many little things can be wrong & do go wrong, make sure they do both sides regardless of what they do, if discs, it is possibly your callipers are sticking, this is common enough with offroad used vehicles, the dust covers fail/split/deteriate & moisture get into the slides & they seize up, eventually they stay on, it is worse when only one of the 2 slides stick, take both off & have them kitted, kits are about 20-30 bucks each side plus labour

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm sticking with the rear caliphers being seized, you'd hear it if it was bearings, look forward to your answer

97_gq_lwb
2nd July 2012, 09:02 PM
I had brakes play up once on a commonwhore intermittently dragging on the rear then they would release pedal went to the floor was all over the place.
When i looked at the brake fluid it was mercy black so i vacuum flushed it and they were perfect after that.
so it might be worth looking at and also trying them hot after a drive and cold seen faulty master cylinders cause pressure build up as you drive before as well.

nissannewby
2nd July 2012, 09:36 PM
first, since you have made no mention of weird noises I can assume it is not ur bearings, failing bearings have a distinct noise, second its not your handbrake, the handbrake is not connected to your rear brakes as in conventional cars, it is connected to the rear of the gearbox,

Good stuff morton. I clearly wasnt thinking about the handbrake and its non relation to the rear wheels must have had a brain fart. As everyone else has stated check your calipers/drums to make sure they are releasing. You are always gonna have some heat transfer through it anyway with normal driving but if its unable to be touched (cannot hold hand on it) then you may have an issue.

Mrs Ronnieh
3rd July 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi all
thank you for your posts.

There is no noise and I asked about Handbrake as was not sure if it was cabled or to diff.
Both wheels are hot but passenger side is worse-- very hot. sometimes brake peddle will go right to floor and has been doing this for some time. Since the brakes were all done awhile ago. We have disc brakes also.

As wheels are getting very hot is it safe to drive about 10 k's to shop at slow speed.

Will let you know what they find.

Ronnie

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 12:30 PM
Your rear caliphers are stuck open, putting pressure on disc ,your foots goes to floor as brake piston already open . as suggested buy a rebuild kit as pistons should return after braking, yours are not, might even bet my left one on that. Think when you had brakes done they may only replaced pads as its an easy job. get some DBA discs new pads and rebuild kit and you'll be right, You can do front at a later date.

Mojo01
3rd July 2012, 04:59 PM
pray it aint the bearings.. they are not cheap to do.. a full set of seals and bearings will set you back about $350 per side and thats the non genuine ones

Mrs Ronnieh
5th July 2012, 09:07 PM
Hi all
thanks for your replies and advice. Tyres off and try to turn wheels-- hard as . Calipers stuck on-- New kits both sides, new brake pads, Discs machined and good as new.

Cheers

Ronnie

Morton
17th July 2012, 10:29 PM
glad to hear, when the brakes stick on like that it does affect the brake pedal cos it get so hot & the oil is not as affective, the pedal becomes 'spongy' & will feel like it is going to the floor, actually it is just you pushing harder to get the same feel, it is common issue in cheap race cars