PDA

View Full Version : clunks everywhere!

Brendan56
2nd July 2012, 11:11 AM
I don't even know where to start, i have a clunk in my car when braking and taking off, i was thinking engine mounts, but i don't know why the'd be buggered as it was only owned by an old couple, but i guess they are fairly old mounts.. any suggestions? :/

Stropp
2nd July 2012, 11:14 AM
suspension bushes???? fairly common i beleive.

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 11:31 AM
What about all the slop in the drive train???? I had a clunk, ended up being hook not tight enough on winch. Very cheap Fix. Old couple, old mounts, maybe old couple from hell

Brendan56
2nd July 2012, 11:49 AM
None of the suspension bushes, already checked (as when i got the car there were no rear shock bushes)
how do i check the slop in the drivetrain?

Punderhead
2nd July 2012, 12:18 PM
Get a louder stereo?

Is there anything rolling around in the back? sound silly i know, but i did fix a mates cars clunk by putting his toolbox where it couldn't move.

As others have said, possible the drivetrain, but I would have thought that you would notice anything amis with the drivetrain when driving around, as it would surely be noticable in the smoothness of takeoff/stop and the like.

Same with the engine mounts - when mums camry had a busted one you could feel the engine movement when you put your foot down - to check for slop try getting up to about 10 kays, stick in in second, and plant you foot for a second, off for a second, on for a second etc. untill it is revving high enough that you need to change gears. (Is yours a diesel? make sure you don't overrev a diesel)

If there is play you should feel it.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Brendan56
2nd July 2012, 12:42 PM
It seems to be happening when I change gears, like when I take my foot off the clutch if I'm not extremely careful.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 02:23 PM
What about gearbox mounts??? I'd stick my head under there with a very large screwdriver and try and move a few things

Clunk
2nd July 2012, 03:32 PM
It's not me, I haven't been anywhere near it this time!!!!! :D

marbles
2nd July 2012, 04:45 PM
G/box mount or drivetrain?
hey buddy bring it around and ill have a look get it sorted
happy to help out another

nissannewby
2nd July 2012, 07:35 PM
Gearbox mounts. Body mounts also check they are all tight. Radius arm bushes can have same effect as well.

Morton
2nd July 2012, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Punderhead;241924]Get a louder stereoQUOTE]

bahahaha Punderhead, my exact thoughts, sorry I cant be of any help, all the above suggestions are right, you may have a series of bushes & mounts failed, do check exhaust mount brackets as well, maybe they just turned their hearing aids down like my old man did, tis good to have a good belly laugh now & then

Mojo01
3rd July 2012, 05:06 PM
ok this is a simple one but, just .. make sure 4x4 aint engaged, I have knocked mine in the past and it was just engaged and the light was not on on the dash mine clunks like shit if the wheels aint locked

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 05:09 PM
What about a stuffed clutch, sometimes the springs on pressure plate fall out, new clutch required

Blacklotusdog
4th July 2012, 09:22 AM
x2 for checking there is nothing in the car making the sound, a new hire car i had recently developed a clunk when braking, had only 450km on it. Sounded like it was coming from the rear wheel arch, turned out to be my wifes metal water bottle had rolled under the seat and was clunking into the seat mounts every time we stopped.