PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder Heat Shield

BigMav
1st July 2012, 06:23 PM
Ok after replacing the slave cylinder and rebuilding the master cylinder I really want to find a way to protect the slave cylinder from all the heat that gathers from the exhaust in that area. I have replaced the slave a couple of times now and each time due to the rubber being melted. They are cheap to replace but its still a pita. I was looking at the factory manual and it looks like there was probably a heat shield fitted originally to the standard exhaust. That is long gone now and replaced with a 3" dump pipe and exhaust. So what have you done to protect the slave cylinder? I can't think of an easy way to manufacture a shield at all.

BigMav
1st July 2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe answering my own question here but exhaust wrap might be the only option, anyone got any better ideas before I fork out for some? Will water get trapped inside the wrap? I'm thinking water crossings etc.

nissannewby
1st July 2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah exhaust wrap or you could make a shield up that bolts onto where the slave cylinder does just fold up a small bit of sheet metal and bobs your uncle. There are also coatings you can put on your exhaust to prevent heat build up.

BigMav
1st July 2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah I thought of mounting some sort of shield onto those two bolts but couldn't see how to do it without limiting access significantly to the same bolts. Have you done this at all mate? Any chance of a pic at all?

97_gq_lwb
1st July 2012, 07:24 PM
Mine has a factory shield that bolts to the slave cylinder not the exhaust .

BigMav
1st July 2012, 07:27 PM
Hmm, maybe I can get one from a wrecker or something.

97_gq_lwb
1st July 2012, 07:32 PM
Worth a try or that patrolapart or others in the vendor section on here might have them.