PDA

View Full Version : Servicing 4.2TDi

Cuppa
30th June 2012, 08:20 PM
My ute has been doing low mileage since I bought it, all on road, but is now due for a 5000km oil change, the first since I changed all fluids & filters when I bought it. (Although it hasn't been driven much, it has always been brought up to operating temperature whenever started).

At that time (164,000kms) I used the following:
Engine - Penrite HPR 15w50 Diesel 10.5 litres
Gearbox - Nulon 75w90 semi synthetic - 2.9 litres + Nulon G70 PTFE gearbox additive
Transmission case - Nulon 75w90 semi synthetic - 1.6 litres
Front diff - Nulon 80w90 - 5.5 litres
Rear Diff - Nulon 85w140 Limited Slip - 5.5 litres
Coolant - 'Long life' coolant - 250,000kms/5 years
Brake fluid - flushed & bled

Fuel filter - Ryco Z332
Oil filters 2 x Ryco Z503
Air Filter - A1412

On this occasion I am thinking that just changing the engine oil & oil filters should be sufficient.
Anyone have different thoughts? How often do you change oil? Do you change filters every time you change the oil? How often do you change fuel filters?

(Btw next time I change the gearbox oil I might try ATF. With the 75W90 - in cold weather if I don't leave the motor idling for a while after starting to warm things up changing gear can be very difficult, fine once warmed up though.)

Thanks
Cuppa

Sir Roofy
30th June 2012, 08:44 PM
if you havnt been doing any heavey driving id stretch it out to 10,000ks
the rest id leave except the gear box oil sounds a bit heavey to me

nissannewby
30th June 2012, 10:26 PM
Engine oil and filters, fuel filter check your belts, inspect air cleaner, check all levels and a good eye over to make sure nothing is out of place. I change engine, fuel and air filters every 5000km both my patrols. Your g/box oil should be fine mate.

Boagie
2nd July 2012, 10:38 PM
Hey Cuppa,i put Redline oil in my gearbox and diffs....quitened down heaps mate...

Wizard52
4th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Nissan advise oil every 5k and oil filters every 10k.
This appears to work as I had the sump off last week and everything is nice and clean. Love the Penrite 15-50.
Took over 11lt to fill after sump removal but previouslt 10lt was plenty. Experienced dealer service mgr suggested
when draining oil, raise front of vehicle a bit to help drain all the old oil from top of head etc as well and allow plenty of time
for it to drain fully. You will never get all the old oil out (try and say that quickly) but the more the better.

nissannewby
4th July 2012, 07:50 PM
I find it odd that filters arent changed when the oil is. Being a diesel fitter I would do this the other way around. The oil filters hold around a litre of oil so your new oil will get dirtier quicker. Oil doesnt break down it just gets dirty and for the cost of filters these days clean oil can do its job better if filtered by clean filters. I wouldnt be stretching it out past 10k

bazz61
5th July 2012, 09:58 PM
what is the theory with the twin oil filters? , no other diesel motor ive owned has 2, maybe thats why the motors last longer,

dsmith
31st July 2012, 10:20 PM
I've been wondering the same thing...

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 10:26 PM
More filter area and sometimes they run them as a bypass setup so if one does get to point of being blocked it bypasses through the second filter so the oil is still filtered. There are plenty of industrial engines that run 2. The majority of the gear i work on runs 4 oil filters and they hold about 10l each.