PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues 3.0lt GU

Cowboy
30th June 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi all,
Could someone UN-Confuse me please..:icon_bonk:

Just finished replacing the 4 oil seals for the injector tubes in to the side of the head as they were leaking. All was good for a couple of days, then all of a sudden the ol girl doesn't want to start right in the mornings.

Symptoms:
Go to start, will kick over first go, but can't get to rev up and will stop after about 10 seconds. Blows white smoke out the back.
Second attempt to start: This requires constant turning until the engine finally fires about 60 seconds or more, with more white smoke and then will run.
After that, No issues for the rest of the day.
Initially I had spray Aerostart in to the guts to finally get it going, but not so bad now.

I have put a non return check valve in the line to the Fuel primer, thinking there may be air leak there, but has not solved the issue.

Any thoughts???

Cheers

Rick

mickstroll
30th June 2012, 06:43 PM
I would be checking the wiring for the glow plugs maybe the wire has come off or broken when u were working in that area

Sir Roofy
30th June 2012, 07:06 PM
Hi all,
Could someone UN-Confuse me please..:icon_bonk:

Just finished replacing the 4 oil seals for the injector tubes in to the side of the head as they were leaking. All was good for a couple of days, then all of a sudden the ol girl doesn't want to start right in the mornings.

Symptoms:
Go to start, will kick over first go, but can't get to rev up and will stop after about 10 seconds. Blows white smoke out the back.
Second attempt to start: This requires constant turning until the engine finally fires about 60 seconds or more, with more white smoke and then will run.
After that, No issues for the rest of the day.
Initially I had spray Aerostart in to the guts to finally get it going, but not so bad now.

I have put a non return check valve in the line to the Fuel primer, thinking there may be air leak there, but has not solved the issue.

Any thoughts???

Cheers

Rick

check the earth wire and elecricals

mudski
1st July 2012, 04:27 PM
White smoke is oi burning. One of the seals is not, sealing? I would check the seals. As you say its fine after you finally get it going so to me its fine because all the leaking oil has been burnt away. Plus sitting there overnight give the seal a chance to leak oil into the pot, hence the hard starting in the morning.

nissannewby
1st July 2012, 04:50 PM
Oil burning is blue smoke, white smoke is unburnt atomised diesel so it isnt firing. It could be glow related or electronically related. If a small amount of oil leaks into the pot overnight it shouldnt make it hard to start. I would be starting with the basics electrical connections earths etc, maf is clean and so on

nissannewby
1st July 2012, 04:54 PM
Is it the old DI 3.0 or the new CRD 3.0?

Cowboy
1st July 2012, 07:10 PM
Is it the old DI 3.0 or the new CRD 3.0?

It's the old DI 3.olt

Cowboy
1st July 2012, 07:12 PM
I am thinking electrical or glowies, but the glowies are only 4 months old and I also replace the injectors at the same time.

big_fletch
1st July 2012, 07:40 PM
Mate my Troll was doing the exact same thing a while back, would start straight up, run for about 10 seconds and then die.. Would have to crank the motor over and use the primer pump to help start her again and after that would be good for the rest of the day.. The cause of mine was air leaking into the fuel lines overnight and letting the fuel bleed back.. Took me ages to find the leak but ended up being the spill return line inside the rocker cover..
Grab yaself one of those little flapper fuel pumps for about $40 and connect it in the middle of the fuel hose from the chassis rail to the fuel filter and let it run for about 20mins or so without the car running.. When ya come back then you will find a wet spot or dripping fuel from the leak.. If you cant find anything, then take the rocker cover off and use the same method to check the spill line and injector seals

Fletcha

Cowboy
2nd July 2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, Fletch,
I'm leaning towards what you have said.
Damn thing is, It started first kick this morning with no probs, no smoke, but I did face the car downward last night just to see what happened, as we have a slight slope on our drive.

Fity
2nd July 2012, 12:07 PM
My glow plugs were not working when I got mine and I only found out on the first cold morning and it smoked and didn't want to start. Turned out to be that they had been over tightened and the insulator under the rail (the steel bar that connects all 4) had been squashed and 2 of the 4 plugs were shorting. It is easy to check the fuse to eliminate this, but if it starts straight up then dies I would say air leak.