PDA

View Full Version : hight of a standard gu

flatvermin
28th June 2012, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm just about to pick up my gu 6 patrol and need to figure out if it still has stock suspension or if it was changed when the steel bull bar was fitted.

Can anyone help me identify what suspension I have by telling me what to look for?

Thanks

robbo0001
29th June 2012, 06:45 AM
Interested in this as well,I am trying to work out what springs the Clan wagon has on it.
Think they are standard height HD, but not confirmed.

vfamily
29th June 2012, 06:07 PM
I can give you the height of a standard gu8 new so no sagging yet, where did you want the height measured from and too

Brendan56
29th June 2012, 06:31 PM
I just universally go from centre of hub to the wheel arch.

macca
29th June 2012, 06:34 PM
I know its not my request here, but if you dont mind.......
Can you measure from the centre of the hubs to under the guard / wheel arch for me please.
Then it wont matter which rims or tyres or pressures are being used on the vehicle.
Thanks Macca

edit, Just measured mine its 578mm

vfamily
29th June 2012, 07:28 PM
540mm Rear
535mm Front

macca
29th June 2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the measurement.
Got positive 43mm, happy with that considering the gear that is on my ute.
With 33" tyres and a small (22.5mm) body lift it is sweet.
Cheers Macca

flatvermin
29th June 2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm off to measure.

flatvermin
29th June 2012, 10:47 PM
I've got 520 front and 540 rear.
I guess the steel bar and winch pulls the front down a little.

JohnH
30th June 2012, 02:46 AM
Official govt figures are 555mm front and 560mm rear for a CRD wagon. I think the govt doc is called a vsi50. My car a 2010 wagon was close to those measurements when I got it. A steel bullbar dropped the front 25mm, a winch and second battery dropped the front another 25mm.

50mm tough dog springs HD in front raised the front 23mm over standard and non HD springs in the rear raised the rear 30mm over standard.

Hope this helps.

flatvermin
30th June 2012, 06:50 PM
So if its 555mm at the front and then drops by 25mm after bar,winch etc, then does that mean that I can legally do a 3" lift at the front because the accessories will drop the extra inch anyway?

If that is the case, then what do I ask for at the back (I won't be carrying more than a fridge and shopping in it 99% of the time)?

macca
30th June 2012, 08:10 PM
If that 555mm is correct and you ask for and get a lift that ends up being 605mm that is a 50mm lift in my book.
That is what happened to my upgrade.
I asked for 50mm above stock, not from where it sat with the extras on it.
Like I said earlier it went up 95mm.
As it sits now it is 23mm above stock (555mm) so I should be safe from a defect.
Macca
P.S. After the build was finished I wieghed each axel and gave them those wieghts to design a system that suited my requirements.
I reckon I got exactly what I asked for.

robbo0001
30th June 2012, 08:23 PM
Bit of a late reply but I have 520mm front drivers, 550 front passenger, 520 rear drivers and 550 rear passenger.
I think I have HD standard height springs in the rear....the vehicle was a apparently a tow car for a camper,but not 100percent.
So a 30mm drop across the car, currently have aprox 75L of fuel main and 25 litres fuel aux tanks....steel front and rear bars, spare 33" mounted on a spacer on rear door.
Might get my winch on first, do some more measurements then work out what kit I can run.
If 550mm is stock....605mm sounds sweet.
Trying to stay legal with 50mm max, but more flex so possibly flexicoils...gotta lift the carport first dammit.

JohnH
1st July 2012, 12:16 PM
Ask the vendor what the measurement hub to bottom of guard will be with their springs and go from there. Some give measurements from the bottom to the rim (clarify if they are talking 16 or 17" rims) and just adjust the calc. Note my 17" rims are s tad more than 17"

So if its 555mm at the front and then drops by 25mm after bar,winch etc, then does that mean that I can legally do a 3" lift at the front because the accessories will drop the extra inch anyway?

If that is the case, then what do I ask for at the back (I won't be carrying more than a fridge and shopping in it 99% of the time)?

JohnH
1st July 2012, 12:19 PM
Note the left and right hand side springs are different because of the driver and aux tanks being on the right. If you have aftermarket spring check they are fitted in the right places.
Bit of a late reply but I have 520mm front drivers, 550 front passenger, 520 rear drivers and 550 rear passenger.
I think I have HD standard height springs in the rear....the vehicle was a apparently a tow car for a camper,but not 100percent.
So a 30mm drop across the car, currently have aprox 75L of fuel main and 25 litres fuel aux tanks....steel front and rear bars, spare 33" mounted on a spacer on rear door.
Might get my winch on first, do some more measurements then work out what kit I can run.
If 550mm is stock....605mm sounds sweet.
Trying to stay legal with 50mm max, but more flex so possibly flexicoils...gotta lift the carport first dammit.

flatvermin
1st July 2012, 06:48 PM
Do all brands have left and right springs? I was thinking about getting an iron man kit as they look like good value for money.

robbo0001
5th July 2012, 02:07 PM
Well I swapped the front springs around today. No identification on them to work out a manufacturer, the only differences were one had Blue and yellow dots, one had green and yellow dots. Exactly same number of coils and steel diametre was identical. No change to ride height, still a 30mm drop across vehicle. Gunna get this winch installed soon, work out drop again...then sort out these bloody springs.
Fun times... Definitely learnt something though...drop the bloody top bump stops inside the spring when installing and removing, that makes life SO much easier!
Cheers

flatvermin
5th July 2012, 10:33 PM
So the drivers side sags even after swapping the springs over? Is the drivers side really that much heavier than the passenger's side?

flatvermin
5th July 2012, 10:34 PM
I ended up ordering a dobinsons kit. I'll post up what they are like once I get them installed.