PDA

View Full Version : Noisy after mudding!

boosh
28th June 2012, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, I went out and found some mud with a mate on Sunday. It was a great day, turned my green patrol brown :P
The next day I cleaned all the mud off and hosed down the engine bay a little but ever since its had a weird, hollow grinding noise... Nearly sounds like a bearing or something...

There's been no change to how it starts, runs, still has the same power... Just makes a weird noise...

Anyone have an idea on what it might be?

Cheers!

AB
28th June 2012, 04:43 PM
Hey mate, coule be a number of things...

Check to see if it only comes on when the A/C is on. My air con has grit all stuck in it and makes similar sound.

Grit could be stuck on pulleys, alternator, etc.

Clean all of the above again, try and pin point the area of the sound with engine on and possibly using a small hose to your ear kind of like a stethoscope...lol

Let us know if you can isolate the sound to an area in the engine bay and we might be able to help better.

Could also spray a light bit of WD40 on the centre of the pulleys one at a time and see if it stops too.

wildgu6
28th June 2012, 05:36 PM
Get a similar sound after gettin down and dirty, Alternator is my bet, as AB said clean off as much as you can and give a good spray with RP-7 or similar, don't spray the belts though,

Yappa Tappa Doo

boosh
28th June 2012, 05:45 PM
Cheers! I'll give that a go tonight.

Sir Roofy
28th June 2012, 05:58 PM
Cheers! I'll give that a go tonight.

would most likely be your alternator youl find grit inside

growler2058
28th June 2012, 06:04 PM
would most likely be your alternator youl find grit inside

Ain't that the truth

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!

MudRunnerTD
28th June 2012, 07:04 PM
Mud costs money! Welcome to 4x4ing. Does it happen when your sitting still and idling too or just when rolling? If only when rolling it could be a stone stuck around your brake caliper or behind the stone guard. Really common.

Have a good look around.

Oh yeah! Mud Costs Money! ;)

boosh
29th June 2012, 06:05 PM
Yeh it's making the noise while not moving, the sound is definately coming from around the pulleys.

I gave the alternator a good clean, still making the noise. I couldn't find any WD40 at home, I'll have to go get some...

On a side note, I found out the other day what WD40 stands for. 'Water Displacement 40th Attempt' The guy was trying to invent it and on his 40th attempt he succeeded. lol ...some useless info for ya!