PDA

View Full Version : removing pre filter options

luvpsi
27th June 2012, 08:45 PM
hey guys i have ordered my snorkel (airflow) for my GQ TD42. i want to remove my pre filter however looking at this kit it retains this filter what have you guys done to remove it it etc just looking for different ways of doing it. post pics if you can

MudRunnerTD
27th June 2012, 09:40 PM
Hey mate, I left it in. Lots of people just run the box empty. I now use it as the primary filter on my GQ after the turbo went on and I fitted the intercooler. The GU TD42 primary filter fits straight in that box.

If you want to take it out you can replace it with some flexi hose like 3" agi from bunnings. Works fine

luvpsi
27th June 2012, 10:03 PM
So I can run a gu primary filter instead and leave my main filter empty or would I be best leaving primary empty

MudRunnerTD
27th June 2012, 10:57 PM
The filter to suit a GQ is a "Pre" filter and is designed to remove larger particles. I would probably leave the Prefilter box empty and run the GQ primary filter (Main top of engine mounted) as it is a bigger uint and is designed for the task. In the GU TD42Ti they have a top mounted cooler and a larger air box in the same spot and the pre filter on a GQ and run a Primary element in that box. It just so happens that that Primary Element from a GU fits into the Prefilter box on a GQ. I modified my GQ prefilter box to allow for more air flow when fitting this primary filter as it is bigger and a little snug in the box.

luvpsi
27th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Ok I'll leave it empty should I run a snorkel sock aswell or a unifilter on snorkel when I leave it empty

MudRunnerTD
27th June 2012, 11:19 PM
i ran a sock until i fitted then Turbo the binned it in favour of Max airflow In!

simdogs
28th June 2012, 10:57 AM
This is how mine came when I got it.

The snorkel just runs straight to main filter and bypasses the pre filter

But if your snorkels one of these long units that runs straight to the prefilter then may as well use it
http://www.razorback4x4.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1003&category_id=360&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53