PDA

View Full Version : New member researching best Patrol model to buy

Cunningstunter
27th June 2012, 02:39 PM
Hi there,

My name is Jarrad and I've come across the forum whilst researching about which Patrol might suit me best.

Been looking over some of the rides as a guest and found a lot of information so far and with some big trips planned with my young boys, figured I'd better join up and get the full experience! :) Based in Canberra but looking to get out there and amongst it!

Until then there maybe some random thread digs on my behalf and I apologise in advance, I'll try not to keep the GU V GQ debate going! LOL:icon_driving:

growler2058
27th June 2012, 02:43 PM
G'day Jarrad welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!

taslucas
27th June 2012, 03:03 PM
Gday Jarrad, welcome aboard mate. Feel free to thread dig as much as you want. Oh and don't worry about starting the GQ V GU debate, cause theres no debate here.....GQs are supreme!

Tap, crackle, pop

Alben
27th June 2012, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Jarrad. Plenty of info here to help your decision.
Cheers
Ben

scotty83
27th June 2012, 03:12 PM
Welcome to the crew.. Never short on advise and banter here. Hopefully some if it is useful. Join in and ask away as i am sure someone will have the answer.

97_gq_lwb
27th June 2012, 03:45 PM
I would have to say it really doesn't matter gq or gu just get the td42 engine with a turbo and you'll be fine though gq is my choice.

AB
27th June 2012, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

TimE
27th June 2012, 04:39 PM
Good to see another member from Canberra, there are a few here.

My biased opinion, and as mentioned above, get a 4.2 turbo GQ or GU with a good service history and you shouldn't go wrong. My choice being a GU IV (the last of the 4.2s).

MEGOMONSTER
27th June 2012, 05:01 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

NissanGQ4.2
27th June 2012, 07:58 PM
Welcome 2 the Jarrad

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

aussiemale
27th June 2012, 09:25 PM
Jarrad, Jarrad, Jarrad.. forget the GU/GQ...the question is..should you get a MQ or a MK.. THAT'S where the fun is!!
What other model can have it's body damage, engine malfunctions, running gear issues be fixed with a bloody big hammer?
Powerplant options?? well, choice of a sports car motor if you go petrol..or a friggen combine harvester if you go diesel...none of this namsy pamsy stuff with electric windows, bottom warmer stuff.
CLUNK,, is now in 4x4
CLUNK.. is no longer in 4X4 Anyhow, welcome to the forum, heaps of info on which way you go, just don't post clean photos of the beast

Dhuck
27th June 2012, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Finly Owner
27th June 2012, 09:41 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Jarrod

Tim

Cunningstunter
28th June 2012, 09:31 AM
Awesome thanks guys, best welcome I've received on any forum that's for sure! :)

I'm really struggling at the moment. After a very messy separation from (now ex) wifey I have to buy a 2nd car (can't bring myself to sell the ute!) I have about 5-8K right now however if I were to wait another 4-6 weeks my financial agreement should be in place and I could spend a little more....but then that will eat into the camping gear setup/dirt bike budget...

Basically looking for something that may not look so great, that I won't be so worried about at carparks from idiots opening doors, trolleys into cars etc (my beautiful ute has collected a few hits in this manner...) so not too fussed on looks/serious off road capabilities, more just something that's SUPER reliable (hard to know in the 2nd hand market) and can seat minimum 5, but even tempted just to get the 7 seater....

My mates are trying to talk me into a 3-5K Ford/Holden wagon until such time I have the extra $$ for the Patrol but then I'm paying x 2 vehcile transfers/stamp etc etc...although for similar $$ I could step into something like this - (and the LPG seems like the best idea for thirsty engines.....?)
http://www.allclassifieds.com.au/ac/display-ad?cid=123354150

Bit of a hard call....but thanks for the welcome and I'll be asking many questions I'm sure! It does sound like the 4.2TD is the best engine choice, and I haven't seen many MK-MQs for sale!

I'm very open to advice/suggestions...

Brendan56
28th June 2012, 12:19 PM
I just bought a 4.2 diesel 93 maverick , no turbo. I love it! Pulled my mates 100 out of sticky sludge the other day with thin crummy tires with no problem. Love the grunt it has, and the sound. I think it would be bloody mean with a turbo.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

Maxhead
28th June 2012, 02:18 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate, good to see another member from around here

Grahame
4th July 2012, 12:27 AM
good luck with the search, I was advised the gu model and so ended up with a '98 model gu... let us know how you go! :)

Lambroast
4th July 2012, 09:52 AM
My 2 bits worth.....

Don't worry about the LPG. Go with a diesel... The only regret I have with my GQ....

Simon.