PDA

View Full Version : best Light bar set up, bulb vs LED

aussiemale
26th June 2012, 09:11 PM
Trying to work out what is the best set up for spotties, hal bulbs or LEDs.
Wanting to know which is brighter, lasts longer, most economical (taking into account life of set up before replacement is required).
Will also be setting up reversing/work lights so again which is better.

megatexture
26th June 2012, 09:34 PM
if you want long life you cant go past led

"Perhaps even more of an advantage than the considerable energy saving capabilities of these astonishing little marvels is their incredibly long life. The lifespan of a LED is vastly longer than that of incandescent, fluorescent or HID lamp sources: a high quality LED will generally last 70,000 hours or longer. A LED does not burn out like a standard lamp, so individual diodes do not need to be replaced on an array. Instead, the diodes gradually produce lower output levels over a very long period of time. If one LED fails, it does not produce a complete fixture outage.

Although LEDs never really burn out, product lifespan is measured by lumen depreciation. The Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) currently recommends calculating the life of an LED as the point at which the LED reaches 30 percent lumen depreciation.

It's important to remember that an LED's 70,000-hour rating is not equivalent to a 70,000-hour lamp life rating (if such a thing existed). A high quality LED will function for well over 100,000 hours in its capacity as a light emitting diode. An LED's functional life is rated up to a point where the LED has reached 30% lumen depreciation. In other words, a high-end LED rated at 100,000+ hours would be used as a light source for approximately 70,000 hours. After 70,000 hours, the LED would still be operational, but at a decreased lumen output and would warrant replacement as per IES standards."

quoted from http://www.lumec.com/newsletter/architect_06-08/led.htm

Bigrig
26th June 2012, 09:49 PM
if you want long life you cant go past led

"Perhaps even more of an advantage than the considerable energy saving capabilities of these astonishing little marvels is their incredibly long life. The lifespan of a LED is vastly longer than that of incandescent, fluorescent or HID lamp sources: a high quality LED will generally last 70,000 hours or longer. A LED does not burn out like a standard lamp, so individual diodes do not need to be replaced on an array. Instead, the diodes gradually produce lower output levels over a very long period of time. If one LED fails, it does not produce a complete fixture outage.

Although LEDs never really burn out, product lifespan is measured by lumen depreciation. The Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) currently recommends calculating the life of an LED as the point at which the LED reaches 30 percent lumen depreciation.

It's important to remember that an LED's 70,000-hour rating is not equivalent to a 70,000-hour lamp life rating (if such a thing existed). A high quality LED will function for well over 100,000 hours in its capacity as a light emitting diode. An LED's functional life is rated up to a point where the LED has reached 30% lumen depreciation. In other words, a high-end LED rated at 100,000+ hours would be used as a light source for approximately 70,000 hours. After 70,000 hours, the LED would still be operational, but at a decreased lumen output and would warrant replacement as per IES standards."

quoted from http://www.lumec.com/newsletter/architect_06-08/led.htm

Wow ...

That was a well thought out, well articulated, well constructed and eloquent post mate ...

But you're wrong!!

You see, the IES is actually owned and operated by the IDW (Illumination Doesn't Work) who work exclusively for HTS (Hit The Switch!) and they ....

Nahhhh ... wouldn't have a clue, but I couldn't let that go I'm afraid!!! LMFAO!!!!

Top post mate!!!

threedogs
26th June 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi I run a 40" led bar on the roof and a 20" led bar on the bullbar, both are 30 deg spot beam. I took off 75wat HID 6000K driving lights. flick the switch and its noon in Darwin. Plenty of light down the road at 100ks doubt you could out drive them. awesome side vision as well. the 40" draws 17Amps. will not be putting driving lights back on. Sure HID will show whats happening 2K down the track. 5000k and 6000k are bright white any higher you start to get that blue look

aussiemale
27th June 2012, 05:46 PM
Hi I run a 40" led bar on the roof and a 20" led bar on the bullbar, both are 30 deg spot beam. I took off 75wat HID 6000K driving lights. flick the switch and its noon in Darwin. Plenty of light down the road at 100ks doubt you could out drive them. awesome side vision as well. the 40" draws 17Amps. will not be putting driving lights back on. Sure HID will show whats happening 2K down the track. 5000k and 6000k are bright white any higher you start to get that blue look

3dogs, would you have a couple of photos so I could have a gander? I'm in project stage (easier if you read it Bryans MQ/MK etc if you want a giggle) and have cut the roof off but just to make things difficult will be wanting roof bar set up, but may end up having to make do with the bullbar due to practicality..oh and legality may have a bearing

Lieney
28th June 2012, 09:45 AM
LED light bar gives good close range light and real bright, with energy saving etc.
LED good for camping, reverse etc. and can last a long time. Good in dust, vibrations etc as apposed to incandecent globes.
Combine this with HID driving lights and get brilliant daylight in front.
LED light bar on roof, HID on bar.