PDA

View Full Version : Annoying rattle

koxxwasp
26th June 2012, 08:30 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had an annoying little rattle (more a high pitched vibration) from behind the dash on a 2006 ST wagon. It seems to be when you accelerate, as soon as you let of it stops. It sounds like trim but I m buggered if I can find the source.
I have had the radio out and put it back....no change,
Door trims off.....no change.
It sounds like a couple of 10cent pieces rattling together, it is doing my head in.

Bit of a long shot but I can see me doing the Super Cheap Autos add at this rate and totally pulling the car in bits to find it. :mad:

Any advise would be a marriage saver as the wife is over me hitting the dash when I am driving it.:icon_bonk::mad:

paulvdw
26th June 2012, 08:53 PM
I have the same thing mate. Just turn the radio up so I cannot hear the rattle :)

Definitely the same, stops when u stop accelerating.

boots
26th June 2012, 08:59 PM
Try turning your fan on and alternating the speed of the fan and also the vent control , move its position also . may be in the vent control unit or vent pipework within the dash . I had the same grief and thats where my problem was . All sorted with some dense sponge, duct tape and plastic ties . goodluck .

koxxwasp
26th June 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that.

Paul if I turn the radio up the kids turn their voices up and we all end up stressed to hell and shouting at each other, so yes a good solution however piece and quiet is my main aim. Boots I think a drive with dash out is the go, I will get a passenger to have a feel around when I drive it, I must admit I didn't think of the ducting ect.......good call I will let you know how I go.

Cheers

grimace
26th June 2012, 09:38 PM
i bloody have the same rattle in my 2008 patrol and its giving me the sh!ts so i too will have a look at the ducting cheers for that....

boots
26th June 2012, 09:47 PM
Had the radio in and out 3 times and the instrument cluster once sorting mine out . got little bits of wood wrapped up in sponge sqeezed in the nooks and crannies , wedged between the dash and vent control unit . wouldnt let a rattle beat me . all good now .

robbo0001
27th June 2012, 06:36 AM
I have a ratlle that I thought was dash orientated, however I found that with the bonnet up and mild acceleration (to start the rattle), if I grabbed the Intercooler support (that runs from front of engine bay to the firewall) I could get it to stop.

Will eventually try some rubber pads under the 2 mounting position on the firewall, to see if this helps.
Just another option,for you to investigate
Cheers

Bob
27th June 2012, 10:14 AM
You havnt got a couple of loose screws in the Ash Tray

Sorry could not resist LOL LOL LOL

Sir Roofy
27th June 2012, 10:27 AM
I have a ratlle that I thought was dash orientated, however I found that with the bonnet up and mild acceleration (to start the rattle), if I grabbed the Intercooler support (that runs from front of engine bay to the firewall) I could get it to stop.

Will eventually try some rubber pads under the 2 mounting position on the firewall, to see if this helps.
Just another option,for you to investigate
Cheers

stay away from supercheap

slingshot
27th June 2012, 03:17 PM
Had the same problem, cured it by tightening my intercooler fan bolts, don't over tighten coz they wind into the aluminum of the unit.
Good luck!

koxxwasp
27th June 2012, 07:54 PM
I did actually wonder about that area, I will have a look. Maybe get my son to sit in the engine bay when I boot it........:jawdrop: