PDA

View Full Version : Using Fog Lamp wiring for Driving Lights gu

jay388
25th June 2012, 04:52 PM
Hi all,
I struggled to fing a definitive answer as to weather I could use the OEM fog light plugs just under the front bar to wire up my Driving Lights. So I went and did it anyway and thought i'd post about it for others thinking of doing the same. not sure if the same as all GU Patrols but this suits a GU6.

So first I cut the little yellow plug under each side of the front bar and wired in waterproof ones from Repco also of course putting the other part of the plug to the lights next thing to do is get a standard open mini relay from Repco (under $10 vs genuine $45) and plugged it strait into the empty relay socket in the engine bay relay box the engine bay fuse box has already a 20a fuse so nothing else there to do.

Now the tricky part its to wire in a switch! there is two options here go to Nissan or wreckers and buy a combination switch with a fog lamp switch in it and just plug it in or pull your combination switch out and there is two plugs attached to the back of it cut the only two wires on the smallest plug (red and blue wire) and solder 3mm twin core to the wires coming out of the harness rout the twin core wire to what ever switch panel you want to use and purchase a panel mount rocker switch to fit the switch cover hole to use as your driving light switch.

before screwing all the plastic panels around your combination switch together check to see if your lights work. as long as your park lamps are on your driving lights should work by the switch! if all good than happy days...

Thanks

jay388
25th June 2012, 04:56 PM
Other thing I had forgot to mention is the wire size for the fog lamps are more than ample to carry the load for two 130w halogen driving lights. Also to add is to use speaker wire for your switch as it carries hardly any load to the relay and is cheap and reliable for the job!!

the evil twin
25th June 2012, 05:08 PM
Uuuummmm... you are aware that it is illegal to have driving lights that can be illuminated at any time other than when hi-beam is selected?

oncedisturbed
25th June 2012, 05:14 PM
and if you refering to daytime running lights they must switch off when low beams are activated

jay388
25th June 2012, 07:03 PM
True on the legal issues but same argument with other things like blocking egr or removing cat etc...... Driving lights are still manually controlled via rocker switch and pose no threat. you can however redirect the switch wire through the high beam trigger if needed incase the police pull you over for regular lighting inspections!