PDA

View Full Version : Swivel hub rebuild help?

BLKWDW
23rd June 2012, 11:42 PM
Hey replacing all the seals and bearings in my swivel hub and doing wheel bearing as well. Ive hit a snag with removing the bearings of the top and bottom caps of the swivel hub. Are they pressed on and how do i remove them?

Silver
24th June 2012, 12:16 AM
this might help, I found it by searching on remove swivel hub bearing.

There are three methods listed - get behind the bearing with a pin punch etc, cut it with a grinder (use protective gear) or use an appropriate bearing puller - which is what I did.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php%3F3278&sa=U&ei=68flT72oJbHimAXxnoCVCw&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFVQruEIwlpc4Qnp1dTbrJZ8M1paA

stets
24th June 2012, 12:52 AM
bearing puller mate

MudRunnerTD
24th June 2012, 12:54 AM
They are a bitch but once you figure t out they will come off easy.

You need to put the hub in a vice. Take off the seal from under the bearing if you can. You need to wreck the seal getting it off but get it off. Once removed there is a bit more room under the bearing.

You need a pair of good pointy nose pliers and a large flat screw driver. A second pair of hands would be helpful but not paramount. Basically the bearing will need to come up in even and straight alignment or it is not coming off.

Using the pointy pliers, spread them and insert them into the spot where the seal had been on each side of the shaft. You now have 2 points of contact. Third point will be the screw driver from the other side.

Using the screw driver as the main lever, lever the bearing up while adding a little force with the pliers, be careful or you will break the end off the pliers.

With 3 good points of contact the bearing will come up relatively easily. The pliers act like a bit of a taper too and help pull them off.

By the second one you will be flying mate!!

MudRunnerTD
24th June 2012, 12:58 AM
Only a tiny bearing puller would help with these king pin bearings. I have a bearing puller and it is not a big one and it would not get under these thing without destroying them.

Use the method above and just wiggle them up. Pretty simple.

BLKWDW
24th June 2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the help people. Will try again today.

Robo
24th June 2012, 10:19 AM
where are you

MudRunnerTD
24th June 2012, 10:29 AM
Good luck mate, if you use my system above you will have each off in a couple of minutes easy. I dont suggest that method for all bearings but it works a treat with those particular items.

Good luck

growler2058
24th June 2012, 11:55 AM
I used a 4" andle grinder to cut the buggers near all the way through but not quite didnt want to cut into the shaft then a cold chisel. If you go my way wear safety glasses as they flew apart when i belted mine off, little razor sharp bit of high tensile schrapnel flying about

BLKWDW
24th June 2012, 06:54 PM
They are a bitch but once you figure t out they will come off easy.

You need to put the hub in a vice. Take off the seal from under the bearing if you can. You need to wreck the seal getting it off but get it off. Once removed there is a bit more room under the bearing.

You need a pair of good pointy nose pliers and a large flat screw driver. A second pair of hands would be helpful but not paramount. Basically the bearing will need to come up in even and straight alignment or it is not coming off.

Using the pointy pliers, spread them and insert them into the spot where the seal had been on each side of the shaft. You now have 2 points of contact. Third point will be the screw driver from the other side.

Using the screw driver as the main lever, lever the bearing up while adding a little force with the pliers, be careful or you will break the end off the pliers.

With 3 good points of contact the bearing will come up relatively easily. The pliers act like a bit of a taper too and help pull them off.

By the second one you will be flying mate!!

Worked a treat mate thnx for that advice.