PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issue - what to do

GU_Nemesis
23rd June 2012, 10:24 PM
Hey Guys,

Bit of an issue with my clutch on my 93 GQ 4.2 diesel.

Out playing the other day at local tracks and got stuck in a rather deep mud hole, where the water was up just over my sidesteps. Was in there for a good few minutes trying to gain some traction and get out to no avail. My navi jumped out and suddenly yelled that there was a black coloured fluid spilling out from underneath the front passenger side. I immediately feared the worst thinking I had punctured the engine sump or done a diff.

After about 10 minutes or so I got snatched out by my mate and it was then that I noticed I had no drive in forward or reverse gears. I again feared the worst as in a stuffed gearbox, but after getting the rig out onto dry land we stuck our heads underneath for a look where we discovered a split in the rubber gear lever boot which had allowed a shit load of water in. A few minutes of draining later and I had my drive gears back, but went straight home to be on the safe side. Took it to mechanic and he said that as long as clutch isn't slipping, it should be fine as it was only dirty water and clutch fluid? Fitted a new rubber boot and replaced all the gearbox and transfer case oils etc as a precaution.

Well the day after, my clutch has started to slip in each gear and revs out pretty bad before grabbing and driving forward. I need the clutch to be replaced asap but am wondering what is the best and toughest to put in? I intend to get some more power and want the clutch to be able to handle everything and not go again in a hurry! One mechanic said he only fits genuine Nissan kits as he reckons everything else will fail and are no good. Another one has recommended the safari Tuff clutch which I think may be the best bet. I don't have the $2000 cash he quoted for the job with a genuine nissan one. Can anyone give me advice? Sorry for the long post :) Cheers

growler2058
23rd June 2012, 10:37 PM
Love a long detailed post! Firstly I'd go the safari mate never heard anything bad about em. But pull the boot off and shove a hose in there with the motor running. Don't push the pedal in though and give it a real good wash out. Could be sh1t stuck on the clutch or flywheel causing slippage.

Tapp tillya Crap

AB
24th June 2012, 08:30 AM
You should be able to pick up a genuine Safari Tuff Clutch on Ebay or a vendor here for around $500-$600.

A mechanic should only charge about $500-$600 to install as well.

Total = $1000 - $1200 fitted.

JamoGQ
24th June 2012, 08:43 AM
I've just put a safari clutch in my 92 diesel. Did it on the floor, but bought a
Gearbox adapter to ease with the weight. Save yourself money with the labour that way. Was $550 with spigot bush and alignment tool. Took about 4 nights in the shed after work.

AB
24th June 2012, 08:48 AM
I've just put a safari clutch in my 92 diesel. Did it on the floor, but bought a
Gearbox adapter to ease with the weight. Save yourself money with the labour that way. Was $550 with spigot bush and alignment tool. Took about 4 nights in the shed after work.

Yes for the spigot bush but not the alignment tool.

GU_Nemesis
24th June 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks heaps for all the replies guys, looks like I'll be going for the safari.

AB
24th June 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks heaps for all the replies guys, looks like I'll be going for the safari.

I have the Safari mate and love it. Arguably the toughest clutch especially for towing as well.