PDA

View Full Version : proportioning valve

Dashar
23rd June 2012, 08:24 AM
I've just purchased a 98 GU wagon, it has a 2 inch lift and the front locks up well before the back when empty. I believe a 2 inch lift doesn't require any proportioning adjustment? It does require adjustment so... how do I adjust the bias to apply less pressure to the rear?

growler2058
23rd June 2012, 08:52 AM
Same id like to know also, i can only find info saying take it to nissan........doubt it

Bigrig
23rd June 2012, 08:59 AM
It needs the proportioning valve lifted exactly the same distance as the springs (2" lift, 2" riser required for the valve, etc). Definitely a DIY job that you can do at home - I just did one for another member on here (airstrike) and his is a 3" lift and his back brakes were barely grabbing let alone functioning properly ... it's more for safety and function than the issue with poorly wearing front brakes ... definitely get it done mate ...
Photo attached of mine ... 5" lift, 5" riser strip.

Morton
23rd June 2012, 01:03 PM
use a cable tie to tension (squash) the spring in a little bit, take it for a drive each time you tension it a bit more & see what difference it has made, the more tension on the spring the more the rear brakes will be affective, this will show you where the bracket has to sit when you replace it, for me, I kept the gable tie in place with appx 10-15% tension, been that way for 5 years no issues, replaced the tie once only, I have a 3in lift at the rear, has stopped on a dime from day one