PDA

View Full Version : Strange device on the dashboard...what is this?

Karel
22nd June 2012, 07:00 PM
Hello everybody,

I recently bought a Y61 Patrol from 1999. A strange device mounted on the dashboard came with it but nobody knows what is this used for??? The dealer had also no idea lol ;) Please help.

Karel

growler2058
22nd June 2012, 07:22 PM
Gday Karel welcome aboard mate. Thats called a thingamy jig theyre great, sorry no idea. Jump over to the intros and say gday when ya get a minute, something we ask all members to do, cheers

NissanGQ4.2
22nd June 2012, 07:27 PM
Whats it do when u press the on button???

does it have a brand / model number on the back or underside of it that you could post up after that intro of yours is posted?

Cheers

Todd

97_gq_lwb
22nd June 2012, 07:33 PM
Barometer is my guess lol

Karel
22nd June 2012, 07:39 PM
Hi guys... Thanks for the replies. To be honest my dad picked up the truck yesterday and I have not yet had a chance to have a look it myself properly... Dad just sent me the photo of it if I had a any idea and since I knew about the forum but I was not registered, I thought to myself, I might give it a go ;))

The thing is that it does not seem to have any screen, this little cover pops out when you press the open button, there is kind of a screen under it but it obviously faces the wrong way lol...up. Dunno. Apperantly nothing happens when you press the ON button... Weird. There are 5 cables going into it thro the dash. Could it be some kind of board computer???

NissanGQ4.2
22nd June 2012, 07:42 PM
my wild guess would be a heads up display for something, sounds cool and I want one *L*

Clunk
22nd June 2012, 07:49 PM
See if you can grab to make and model number and google it mate..... As been mentioned, could be some sort of heads up display

Winnie
22nd June 2012, 07:51 PM
Weird that it is aimed at the passenger

Tappa tappa

nissannewby
22nd June 2012, 07:52 PM
Goin by mr google and your pic it certainly looks like some kind of heads up display and having a close look at phot you can see reflection of screen in the open section and to me looks like it could be altitude and maybe roll centre an absolute wild guess though.

Winnie
22nd June 2012, 08:03 PM
Goin by mr google and your pic it certainly looks like some kind of heads up display and having a close look at phot you can see reflection of screen in the open section and to me looks like it could be altitude and maybe roll centre an absolute wild guess though.

I can definitely see the word "roll" in the reflection

Tappa tappa

NissanGQ4.2
22nd June 2012, 08:23 PM
Weird that it is aimed at the passenger

Tappa tappa

Wouldn't it be a left hand drive vehicle been in the Czech Republic??? and if so wouldn't it be pointing more towards the driver than passenger????

patrol2.8
22nd June 2012, 08:52 PM
looking at the photo zoomed and zoomed again looks like nissannewby could be spot on

NissanGQ4.2
22nd June 2012, 09:04 PM
Ok.............. so we have worked out its an aftermarket heads up display that shows Roll and possible altitude.

Interested 2 know it it displays anything else

Karel
22nd June 2012, 09:06 PM
Just letting you know guys: it is a left hand drive i.e. the other side from australia ;) It is a Patrol bought new in 1999 in Italy...

megatexture
22nd June 2012, 09:16 PM
looks to me its shows pitch and roll and altitude but if you put something black behind the lid you would be able to make out more detail on the reflection wouldnt mind one like it if its accurate

Morton
23rd June 2012, 03:27 PM
just a fancy ashtray mate lol