PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Intercooler???

fat paddy
21st June 2012, 04:54 PM
3.0 GU.
I get an anoying whistling/buzzing sound coming from the motor whenever the boost guage goes over 10lb. It stops when the boost goes below. It doesn't matter what revs the enging is doing or the speed of the vehicle.
I have been over the induction side of the motor from the top of the turbo to the throttle body. All hoses and clamps are intact. There is oil weaping from a corner of the intercooler around the cripped join so I suspect this is where the problems is.
I tried to fold the crip tags tighter using the bench vice last night but this didn't fix the problem, it did quietten the sound a bit though.
I am planning to get the intercooler pressure tested on my next day off - Friday week.
My question is has anybody else had this problem. Has anybody attemped to seal the join from the inside (access is easy through the outlet of the intercooler as the weaping is in that corner).
Replacement intercooler from Nissan = $1,700.00
Cheers FP

scotty83
21st June 2012, 06:17 PM
If it end up being your intercooler check out this thread. There are plenty of options without buying factory that wont fail on you like the factory ones.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4551

Intercoolers normally leak oil underneath them where the tank is crimped onto the cooler core. This is a good sign it is on the way out.

fat paddy
21st June 2012, 07:22 PM
Brilliant, thanks for that

adventurepaul
21st June 2012, 10:49 PM
Mine did same thing. Core tube cracks where it meets the tank plates. I recored mine with PWR core.....ebay is your friend