PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle

slingshot
21st June 2012, 02:57 PM
Blocked my egr& removed butterfly, cleaned intercooler+hoses last weekend, now my trusty old 2.8td gu seems to knock a bit more when idling than it used to...
Anyone out ther with similar expierience?

Buschmaster
22nd June 2012, 08:16 AM
mayby the engine just need little time to get used to the changes but did you cleaned the MAF sensor ?

slingshot
22nd June 2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah cleaned maf sensor, gonna fill her up today and will ad 2stroke see if that makes a difference...
Thanks mate

Buschmaster
23rd June 2012, 12:20 AM
And what about the pulley,s and pully tensioners ?:icon_driving:

slingshot
23rd June 2012, 11:54 AM
Had the same idea, last night because the 2stroke made the engine quieter and smoother, but i noticed a distinctive shake on engine shut down, went and checked belts and there seems to be more than the recommended "used belt" play in them.
Will get onto it today...
Thanks again mate

Buschmaster
23rd June 2012, 10:05 PM
hope its not jumped a few teeth becouse of the low tension when you accelaraded fast or something:jawdrop:

but i would first try to tension up the tensioner pulleys and listen if the bearings are ok and if that does not get away the rough idle then i would go to agood patrol mecanic to set the timing again...

holden4th
27th June 2012, 09:01 PM
What would be involved in resetting the timing and what, roughly, would be the cost? I am of the opinion that my troll needs to have this done after 300K of travel as it's not as smooth as it should be. Also, does the GUIV have a timing chain or a timing belt?

Buschmaster
28th June 2012, 06:09 AM
Well im also relativly new to the tecnical world but it can be that you must reajust the valves after 300.000 (becouse friction and things)

the costs depend on to wich man you go..

I would go to 1 that also has good knowlege of ecu and electronics and also has a obd2 meter because its (for me eatherway) a quite complex matter. becouse with all the moder thing on the engine it can have a lot of causes..

Succes!!