PDA

View Full Version : GQ righthand rear hub getting VERY hot

BossGQ
19th June 2012, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, my right hand rear hub is getting extremely hot when driving around. At first i suspected a seized caliper, and it was stuck under pressure and constantly rubbing causing the whole disc and hub to heat up, i was right, the caliper was seized and put up a fight about coming off the disc, bits of it had signs of the steel actually beginning to melt. I replaced the caliper with a reco'd one from Patrol A Part and thought that would be the fix, but to my surprise the hub heated up just the same. I'm stumped guys the only other thing i can think of is a faulty wheel bearing, however when i try and wobble the wheel back and forth it has no free play. So if u guys have ANY ideas on what could be the cause please let me know. Cheers BossGQ.

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2012, 10:47 PM
90% it's a wheel bearing mate

Stropp
20th June 2012, 02:02 PM
gotta agree there wheel bearing.

BossGQ
20th June 2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah alright, thanks for that, i'll give it a look.

GQ TANK
22nd June 2012, 09:42 PM
most likly wheel bearing - could be the disk out of round and rubbing?

stets
22nd June 2012, 10:18 PM
i had the problem too, is the disc turning a shade of blue, if so it is your brake caliper not releasing, even reco'ed parts that have been sitting for a while tend to seize shut on occassion so i found out. if the disc is not blueish, then it is a wheel bearing issue.

Morton
23rd June 2012, 02:38 PM
the rear bearing will never be loose like a front bearing, if the rear has movement it is because it has collapsed & you would know this this anyway, a bearing thats starting to fail makes a distinct noise, every Mecho knows the noise, it is like no othe & can never be mistaken for anything else, it is often heard when driving with the stereo off & all windows up