PDA

View Full Version : Front end issue - Need to know what a part is, so I can replace.

1nertia
19th June 2012, 05:35 PM
As some of you might of noticed on the thread for my GQ, I almost lost my left front wheel assembly. Well anyway, I have new lock washers to help that, but the hub nuts have been destroyed, and what they screw onto, the thread on that has been destroyed. Pretty much, what is it that the hub nuts on the front end of GQ screw onto? I'm kinda thinking it's the Hub Assembly, but I have no idea. Anyway, I need one of whatever they are, so if anyone has an idea of what it is, or perhaps a diagram of the front end set up on a GQ, could you please throw it at me.

I've had no luck with google, not knowing what it is I'm looking for, so any help with this is definitely appreciated. I can take pictures if needed, but not until tomorrow or the day after.

Once again, thank you all for any help you can provide, hopefully I can not post anymore help needed threads for a long time.

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2012, 05:41 PM
I think your chasing the Knuckle Spindle

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/Screenshot2011-08-14at103139AM.png

Rip'n'Shred
19th June 2012, 05:44 PM
Sounds like you mean the spindle

Not cheap!

Rip'n'Shred
19th June 2012, 05:45 PM
Beat me to it

Silver
19th June 2012, 05:47 PM
according to the factory manual it is called a knuckle spindle.

When you put up 4 more posts, and download the manual, scoot over to page FA-13

I'd put up a copy of the page, but dunno how.

Good luck

beaten to the post......... twice :-)

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2012, 05:53 PM
We are a Helpful Bunch Here are NissanPatrol.com.au

;)

Silver
19th June 2012, 06:28 PM
indeed :-)

1nertia
19th June 2012, 07:06 PM
Well, I need that and the nuts for it, got bearings, also need the mandrel type thingo that the inner cog (thingo) for the free wheeling hub sits against. That's cracked right through. So if I rang up a wreckers, and asked for a whole swivel hub assembly/freewheel assembly, would the spindle be included? so from the big knuckle out to the side of the car? If that makes sense?

Thank you all for that info, you guys are bloody champions all of yas!

One other question, what's this 4 more (3 more) posts/manual download thing?

Silver
19th June 2012, 07:16 PM
Now could be the time to investigate fitting the GU bits.

That system is less animal than the GQ double lock nut done up to hernia inducing torque and then backed off.

1nertia
19th June 2012, 07:19 PM
Now could be the time to investigate fitting the GU bits.

That system is less animal than the GQ double lock nut done up to hernia inducing torque and then backed off.

Don't suppose you could dumb it down for me? What's the difference between a GU set up and GQ set up, what would I need to do to fit said set up also? Will it fit straight on, what would I be putting on? all that kinda stuff? And thanks again!

97_gq_lwb
19th June 2012, 07:51 PM
Woah $400 a spindle i sold a whole diff complete for less.

NissanGQ4.2
19th June 2012, 07:56 PM
One other question, what's this 4 more (3 more) posts/manual download thing?

The forum host some GQ and GU manuals, members have access 2 download these after 25 posts are made.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?54-Nissan-Patrol-Manuals

You now have access 2 all these :)

Cheers

Todd

1nertia
19th June 2012, 07:57 PM
Woah $400 a spindle i sold a whole diff complete for less.

I must of missed anything to do with $400 bucks. Probably to keep my sanity intact. I can buy a whole front diff, disc to disc for that much! As is, if I can figure out how to move to a GU set up, I might try to do that.

97_gq_lwb
19th June 2012, 08:01 PM
That's seems to be how much the spindles cost new.

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2012, 08:05 PM
I must of missed anything to do with $400 bucks. Probably to keep my sanity intact. I can buy a whole front diff, disc to disc for that much! As is, if I can figure out how to move to a GU set up, I might try to do that.

Wow mate if you can get a GU front diff for $400 disk to disk grab it mate! Worth 3 times that. I'll have it for $400

Grab it and fit her up mate. Wider, bigger brakes, bigger cvs bigger axles bigger everything

1nertia
19th June 2012, 08:08 PM
Wow mate if you can get a GU front diff for $400 disk to disk grab it mate! Worth 3 times that. I'll have it for $400

Grab it and fit her up mate. Wider, bigger brakes, bigger cvs bigger axles bigger everything

GU? I wish! I can grab a GQ front end for that much, which seems to be the way I'll be going, cause I can't figure out what I'd need to do to GU it up front.

Silver
19th June 2012, 10:51 PM
I was just talking about changing the GQ double lock nut and lock washer system to the GU system which is a lock washer with lots of holes drilled around the circumference. The lock nut also has a pair of holes. Lock washer on first, stub on the inside edge of the lock washer grabs a groove (or two grooves, can't remember) in the spindle. Do the lock washer up to the right torque. Install two machine screws through the lock nut and into the appropriate holes in the lock washer.

I have not converted mine, others have - can I suggest you do a search and see what comes up - or post a new thread with the right subject in the appropriate mechanical discussion, and see what advice turns up.

As to converting the whole diff, apparently GU cvs are bigger etc - again I think a search on here might reveal all.

97_gq_lwb
19th June 2012, 11:05 PM
My 97 gq has that standard.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hub-Nut-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-GU-GQ-Maverick-/290631161265?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aaf795b1

nissannewby
19th June 2012, 11:09 PM
Dont need anything to GU the front. I think you may have to change the tie rod on the knuckle end of your steering arm (some may confirm this) but apart from that bolt her up bleed the brakes and off you go.

1nertia
20th June 2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the all the info, I got a lot to do when I can afford it.

At this time, I'm gonna chase down pretty much everything from the swivel hub out to and including the locking/freewheeling hub, and get everything inbetween other than the brake caliper and CV. And that should fix the 2 problems in that area.

Thank's GQ_lwb for that link! Got the watched, and as soon as I have spare cash, I'll get onto that beauty!

MudRunnerTD
20th June 2012, 10:07 AM
You will find you are way way better off chasing a whole GQ front diff, disk to disk mate! al teh parts will be there and you will get a couple of spare CVs and Axles basically for free. There are a few around after guys have swapped to GU stuff. You will find though that they probably wont come with the Manual Hubs though as they are worth cash and often will be stripped off but the rest will get you out of trouble.

Where are you in the World mate?

97_gq_lwb
20th June 2012, 11:35 AM
If your in sydney and can pick up i might consider seperating a diff i have here and selling off the bits you need tell me exactly what you want make me an offer lol

1nertia
20th June 2012, 05:28 PM
If your in sydney and can pick up i might consider seperating a diff i have here and selling off the bits you need tell me exactly what you want make me an offer lol

Well damn. Already bought most of a diff this morning, was the only way to get the parts I needed. I could buy the spindle without any trouble, but no one was willing to split up a lock hub to get the spacer/seat thing. She'll be getting put back together tomorrow, now gotta come up with 140bucks for a master cylinder.

Thanks for the offer mate, would of taken you up on it if I'd seen it just a few hours earlier.