PDA

View Full Version : Rd28t & td42t differences between the two??

Alitis007
19th June 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi all, just wanting to know what the difference is between the two i've been looking at getting my self a 4.2 powered trol but what i have noticed thers a $15k difference between the 2.8 and the 4.2, so the main reason i am asking is if i was to buy a 2.8 powered trol n chuck in a 4.2 what sort of obsticles will i face? Do they share the same gearbox n diffs? Are the looms different ?? Has any 1 tryed this convertion?? Would the cost of the convertion be the same as buying a GU with a 4.2 ?? Any help would be much appreciated cheers

97_gq_lwb
19th June 2012, 03:14 PM
Different gearbox, diff ratios, and other smaller items

slingshot
19th June 2012, 03:29 PM
Different engine+drivetrain, 4.2seems a bit more bulletproof hence the price difference.
Own a2.8 myself and if ur not constantly towing boats, big trailers around they seem to do the trick.
Good luck!

Hunty
19th June 2012, 05:47 PM
For a conversion you will need the 4.2 gearbox and crossmember, both tailshafts engine mounts, throttle cable and pedal.

Depending on what you pick an engine up for will determine the cost and if you will be doing the labour yourself.

Theres always little stuff you come across, like coolant bottle, powers steering brackets are different, radiator.

If you can pick up a cheap 2.8 and get your hands on a td 42 its probaly a bit cheaper if you are doing the work.

Alitis007
20th June 2012, 09:54 AM
To slingshot i will ocationly be towing a boat so that extra lil kick from the 4.2 will help alot driveing thru the great deviding range from melb to nsw.

To hunty i'm a mechanic so the labour isnt an issue my main concern is would it be worth my wild to do it, ive seen some 2.8's going for around 6g's and im guessing by the sounds of it i should see how much a write off sells for at the autions to be a donor. I dont do alot of work on GU's so thats why i'm asking plus my engine reconditioner has advised me to stay away from the zd30 trolls coz of ther problems e.g. 80,000k rebuilds, cracking heads n blowing turbos and his words "with a few dollars on a 4.2 you will have a motor for life"

Hunty
20th June 2012, 03:42 PM
We looked at selling mine and buying but in the end wouldn't be worth it. So we found a motor and went from there.
The biggest outlay is the 4.2 and finding one. The rest of it is pretty straight forward. The 2.8 diff gear runs great with the 35s we cut most of the 2.8 wiring harness out as it was mostly emissions stuff.

I would say your looking at 5k for all the other parts like gear box etc and depending what you get an engine for you could do the swap for 10k. You can always drive the 2.8 until you have it all. Like anything you can always keep spending. Fuels pumps, turbos etc.

It's definatley worth doing if you have the time and money.

Don't forget you will make a bit of money back by selling what you can from the 2.8

Alitis007
21st June 2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks hunty thats very helpfull, 10k as a ball park figure gives me a better idea of what i will be in for. I might be pushing it but if i found a blown zd30 to convert do you think it would be roughly the same $$? Im just trying to cover my bases.

Hunty
21st June 2012, 10:34 AM
I think they only good thing about the zd30 Is the bell housing is the same as the 4.2 not sure about tailshafts but I think the wiring side is a bit more, and Ive heard the tacho gives you dramas. Not sure there is a thread on patrol 4x4. A bloke is Doing the 3L to a 4.2 he might be more help if you go that way.

Alitis007
21st June 2012, 01:21 PM
Ok cool i'll sus it out thanks again for your help.