PDA

View Full Version : Drowned vehicle

macca86
18th June 2012, 06:36 PM
So I attempted a bog hole and found it was bigger and deeper than first thought NO there's no pictures as I'm too ashamed and should have known better but anyway the door seals let in water seat deep and I flooded the computer compartment.
I have stripped the inside dried it all out but my dash lights stay on all the time, the engine idles but when i stomp on the go pedal nothing happens unless I do it several times then revs rise but after 20 or so seconds it stalls no matter what pedal positiion is.
Any thoughts as to how to fix it and or costs?
I had the batteries disconnected over night befor I dried it and put it back together. I also have a safari d tronic chip piggybacked on to the management system

MEGOMONSTER
18th June 2012, 06:52 PM
Seems you have a problem there buddy.
Check the depth before you dive to survive.
Hopefully someone here had the same issues to help.
Good luck

growler2058
18th June 2012, 06:55 PM
Oh bummer!! May take quite some time to dry out

macca86
18th June 2012, 06:59 PM
I hope it magically starts working again I have it booked in for my mechanic on monday see how it drieds out by then I can drive it but stalls randomly 4 times in the 30km trip home but I don't want to ruin it

Sir Roofy
18th June 2012, 07:00 PM
bugger well lock her up in the shed open doors bonnet turn on heaters and walk away for a couple of days
then try to tidy her up
goiod luck with it mate

macca86
18th June 2012, 07:04 PM
Good idea I had her idling for an hr after work only stalls if I touch the go pedal seems to idle fine. I'll crank up the heaters and try that every day for an hr or two

97_gq_lwb
18th June 2012, 07:11 PM
Mate i done mine get to it as soon as possible i couldn't believe how quick things corrode .
This stuff works great wish i had done it straight away.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1012

Glow controller was at the lowest point on the drivers side it copped a gutful but was full of mud and crud and corroded beyond repair within a week.

Also take the kick panels off and remove and foam mine had two pieces stuffed in there soaking up water.
and the seat brackets rust real quick along with the handbrake and any other bare metal etc.
I ripped the entire carpet out and hit it with the gherni and pulled out all of the soundproofing crud as it will never dry in the car.

NissanGQ4.2
18th June 2012, 07:28 PM
Doesn't matter how ashamed you are macca, forum comes first and you should of taken ship loads of photo's for us *L*

Sorry 2 hear of your dramas, not much more you can do, than rip carpets, sound proofing, seats and start drying everything out.

Macca's new signature: Always check the depth before attempting a bog hole!

Good luck with it mate, I use 2 love driving through bog holes, but just more drama than its worth, I still haven't bothered putting my floor trims back in after the numerous times of ripping the carpet out from driving in bog holes and I stopped doing bog holes that around 5 years ago! The trims are buried somewhere in the shed now!

Yendor
18th June 2012, 07:43 PM
Bummer Steve,

I'm with you, I don't want to see those type of photos either.

I would remove the ECU and accelerator position sensor and treat them with an electronic cleaning solvent.

What dash lights are staying on?

Do you have an ECUtalk? or have you flashed the codes out?

Did the water get into the interior fusebox?

Here's hoping it all will dry out.

Silver
18th June 2012, 08:08 PM
Crikey Steve, the things we do in the name of fun!!

I hope it all dries out ok!!!!!

macca86
19th June 2012, 05:13 PM
Bummer Steve,

I'm with you, I don't want to see those type of photos either.

I would remove the ECU and accelerator position sensor and treat them with an electronic cleaning solvent.

What dash lights are staying on?

Do you have an ECUtalk? or have you flashed the codes out?

Did the water get into the interior fusebox?

Here's hoping it all will dry out.

I don't have carpets the main reason I bought a dx vinal all the way baby. So the seat are out I've hosed out all the mud running heaters on compressed air dried it out. the airbag fuel engine warning light etc are all staying on instead of going out like they should.
Interior fuse box was fine just the computer and my safari d tronic coped it. They'll be coming out monday at the mechanics as I'm due for a service anyway. Prob have to change gearbox diffs and transfercase oils too. A costly mistake but hey why buy a 4x4 if you arn't going to use it may as well just get a rav 4 or x trail and go touring

Bigrig
19th June 2012, 05:30 PM
You goose!!! Lmfao!!!

Someone had to say it!!! lol

Hope you sort the truck though mate - saw your other post on my move thread, and whilst I'd love ya there, I reckon you should probably try to please the missus more than me!!! lmao

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2012, 06:13 PM
Bugger Macca, bad luck mate. Ya gotta check the depth bugger it. I learned the hard way too mate, most folk do. The depth determines the expense and the lesson learned though. For me it was chest height inside and above the roof on the drivers side outside. Damn It!

Hope your rolling again soon, Hopefully some of the errors are just in need of reset codes mate.

megatexture
19th June 2012, 07:58 PM
thats not good mate hope it all dries out fast i like the idea of opening her up in the shed also try chucking your ecu in with some damp rid in a sealed container make sure there’s room for the crystals to catch as a liquid at the bottom though. I’ve used this stuff many times with my phones once i dropped it in a bucket of paint, thoroughly washed it and put it in this container for 4 days and it came good.

http://www.damprid.com/

GQ TANK
22nd June 2012, 09:52 PM
What model truck?

If you a a cpu - pull it asap, give it a clean with a contact cleaner. Then sit it in a bowl of rice over night - rice assorbs mosture.

Do the same for your radios etc

Have you checked air filters - fuel filters etc

Consider changeing all your oils as well - moor - diff's gearbox etcs

1nertia
23rd June 2012, 11:31 AM
What model truck?

If you a a cpu - pull it asap, give it a clean with a contact cleaner. Then sit it in a bowl of rice over night - rice assorbs mosture.

Do the same for your radios etc

Have you checked air filters - fuel filters etc

Consider changeing all your oils as well - moor - diff's gearbox etcs

This is right on the money! If it was deep enough to get your ECU wet, good chance you have air in your fuel, and even with a snorkel, quite possibly in your air intake - since a lot of intakes I've seen aren't a completely airtight system. But the rev and stall problem sounds like a wet air filter kinda thing.

Also, since it is a GU, go through, pull out your sensor plugs one by one, and blow them all out! It could be just a faulty reading going through to the ECU in the first place, rather than a screwed ECU. Seriously sounds like a lot of short outs in various electrical systems from what I've read.

Good luck with it all mate, hope she gets fixed quickly, I'll get you a broom handle for Christmas :p