PDA

View Full Version : GQ Fuel return - where too?

beerman
18th June 2012, 01:17 PM
G'day,

I just finished replacing my old tired TB42 carby engine with a new (well reasonably new) reconditioned engine. All in and fired up ok except, I could smell fuel. Stopped engine and there was fuel all through the right had side of the engine bay under the inlet manifold.

Scatching head I finally noticed that there was no hose connected to the fuel return on top of the fuel pump. But where does the other end go to? I cannot find where this hose is suppose to come from. Anyone??

taslucas
18th June 2012, 07:42 PM
Ill have a look at mine tomorrow mate and take a few pics. Is it the original carby?

beerman
19th June 2012, 03:11 PM
Ill have a look at mine tomorrow mate and take a few pics. Is it the original carby?

Thanks taslucas, Yes, it's the original carby. I am looking for the small diametre hose but cannot locate it anywhere. It must be there. I would have removed it to get the original engine out. Just can't see it.

taslucas
19th June 2012, 08:30 PM
Hey mate, sorry I worked a bit late and it got dark. (dark at 5:30 here these days). I'll have another go tomorrow!
Do you have enough posts to download the manual?

Tap, crackle, pop

beerman
20th June 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks taslucas,

I found the issue and sorted it out last night. It appears that the fuel return line must not have been disconnected when the engine was lifted out (Doh). The rubber line was pulled off at both ends and dropped to the ground (along with other scraps). When I put new engine in I was looking for a hose that wasn't there any longer (hence my confusion).

No diagrams that I had found shows where the return fuel line (attached to the right hand side chassis rail) is. Anyway all sorted now. All I have to do now is get all the vacuum tubes back on the correct inlet/outlets so the engine idles properly. Then it's back on the road (fingers crossed).

taslucas
20th June 2012, 11:04 AM
Good to hear mate:)

Tap, crackle, pop