PDA

View Full Version : Turbo sound

Superoo
17th June 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi all,
As a new owner or a GU Patrol 03 3.0 turbo diesel I cannot seem to hear the turbo whistle as I can on other turbo diesels.
Is this normal for the Nissans?
Cheers.

nissannewby
17th June 2012, 01:19 PM
Do you have a snorkel? Are you still running standard exhaust? Intake and exhaust differences will allow you to hear the whistle more readily I have a turbo GQ 4.2 with some nice mods that pulls pretty well at 14psi and i can harldy hear the whistle in it.

CorbinsGUte
17th June 2012, 03:01 PM
i thought the same on my 08 3L ute. i never hear the turbo spool up, i just put it down to the sucking of the snorkel drowning it out as the sucking sound is quite loud.
cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MEGOMONSTER
17th June 2012, 03:37 PM
I have a GU8 and I can barely hear it as well, due to snorkel sucking in air is quite loud

lufkin
17th June 2012, 03:41 PM
I can hear it in my GU 2.8 sounds quiet nice. Just has snorkel as only mod

Superoo
17th June 2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your replies. My GU is standard at the moment ( engine wise ) but hope to fit a snorkel and 3" exhaust.
Cheers.

MEGOMONSTER
17th June 2012, 05:41 PM
I have a GU8 and I can barely hear it as well, due to snorkel sucking in air is quite loud

Plus I have a 3" exhaust and is not a big turbo

Finly Owner
17th June 2012, 09:36 PM
Superoo, Don't worry mate, Most turbos you hear on the street is because they have acoustic enhansment via a larger 3" exhaust allowing it to be heard.

My MK has a whistle that can be heard fron inside the vehicle, standard turbo, engine and exhaust, no snorkel. But, it does sound a little like a siren.

Tim

Superoo
20th June 2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

Col.T
21st June 2012, 07:34 PM
G'day Super
got an '08 3.0l with snork but standard exhaust and have never heard a 'turbo whistle' or audible snork intake sound whilst inside the wagon yet.
Don't think I'm 'deaf as well as...' so can only assume it's factory set up to be quiet.
There is though a fairly quiet non mechanical sound, dependent on revs. which I believe is the turbo spinning up. Guess Mr.Niss wasn't looking to upgrade the whistle etc. sounds as the majority of drivers are talking on their moblie anyway.
Cheers
Col

Brisvegas
22nd June 2012, 09:46 PM
Mines quiet can hardly hear it on boost

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 02:34 PM
I can hear the whistle in my 2.8lt TD 99 gu. Sounds quite nice. Nothing like the other turbos around but still sounds great.

lufkin
16th August 2012, 03:04 PM
I can hear the whistle in my 2.8lt TD 99 gu. Sounds quite nice. Nothing like the other turbos around but still sounds great.
would have to agree my 99 gu 2.8 sounds quite nice too, and since i changed my exhaust it seems to sing and takes awhile to spool down