PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME Gq wheel wobble

mercho
15th June 2012, 05:24 PM
I know there are already plenty of posts about the "gq wobbles" but i think my situation is a little different. In the past 6 weeks i have experienced extreme wheel wooble at around 100km/h on the same section of road on three different occasions. it's seems to happen after hitting a bump in the road. the wheels shook so bad i thought something had broken or the wheel nuts had come loose. the wobble didn't stop until i had brought the car to a complete stop. i have recently gone from 33" muddies to 31" all terrains and replaced the draglink(the one in front of the diff) to an adjustable one. i never had the problem before this in the 5 yrs i have owned it and i feel this may have something to do with it. i drive the vehicle everyday on tha same stretch of bumpy road and it's only happened 3 times so it's not exactly consistent but when it happens it's quite scary. i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this matter.

1nertia
15th June 2012, 07:07 PM
Jack it up, check for play in your wheel bearings first of all. Have your wheels and tires re balanced. And check for play in the rims. Finally, is this wobble felt through the car or the steering? if it's the steering, a larger damper will be needed for your steering, or an RTS one, which retails for 150bucks on ebay.

mercho
15th June 2012, 07:45 PM
i checked the bearings about 2 weeks ago and no problems there. The wobble is felt through the steering wheel but also shakes the whole vehicle thats how bad it is. i actually stuck my head out the window the last time it happened and i could see the wheel wobble quite severely. As for the steering dampener i currently have the rtc dampener fitted but i'm thinking of trying a heavy duty one.

nissannewby
15th June 2012, 08:39 PM
Panhard bushes, radius arm bushes, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, king pin bearings, wheel balance there are a range of things it could be. Being that it only happens when you hit a bump i would be look at the panhard and radius arm bushes

growler2058
15th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Jump over to the intro thread and say gday mate, something we ask of all members before they ask Q's,cheers

Robo
15th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Sorry bro, the wobble you describe is common problem not unique to your 4x4.
Follow advise on fixes described on forum and you will be on the way to a sound fix to problem.
poor tie rods, wheel bearings, swivel bearings, tyres, rims and suspension bushes, alignment are--.
all potential problems and need attention.
cheers

BigMav
15th June 2012, 11:10 PM
mate i had the exact same problem, to a point where you lose control of the car and the only thing that stops it is if you come to a complete stop. my problem was the panhard rod bushes were gone. i would start there.

mercho
16th June 2012, 08:54 AM
thanks guys. i will be checking the panhard bushes today as i rebuilt the complete swivel hubs about 2 yrs ago and also replaced radius arm bushes so they should still be fine and i haven't touched the front panhard rod since owning the vehicle.

BigMav
16th June 2012, 12:42 PM
One last thing mate if the panhard bushes are gone make sure you replace with genuine nissan rubber items. Everything else is just rubbish.

Robo
17th June 2012, 05:56 PM
mate i had the exact same problem, to a point where you lose control of the car and the only thing that stops it is if you come to a complete stop. my problem was the panhard rod bushes were gone. i would start there.

Wobble, lose of control as you mention is really very common problem and not unique to a GQ either.

97_gq_lwb
17th June 2012, 06:17 PM
My first one done the same usual fixes panhard wheelbearing adjustment etc fixed it or masked it lol.
I had it on my gold one the other day from mud it was shocking but a few hours of drowning in big mud holes and she is back to normal.

mudmav
15th July 2012, 09:01 PM
i have just started having similar probs with my 89 mav after replacing panhard bushes and tightening wheel bearings for a roadworthy , unable to drive it over 60 ks its that bad , had wheels balanced twice but somehow we must have caused problem somehow also had to put split pins in castle nuts on rod that has return to centre damper on it and when we play with its tension of the castle nuts either end we can get better speed and reduced episodes of spastic fits but cant get it right again so may have to admit defeat and head for the mechanic bugger it all so many hours of work to restore to be let down by that what a bummer.