View Full Version : GU Patrol - Clunk when stopping???

shaun100
14th June 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi All,

Long time lurker - however just bought my first patrol :-)

I have recently bought an 02 GU111 4.8 Auto Patrol.

It has a lovells 2" lift.

When Im slowing to a stop (well nearly stoppeed) theres a clunk from the rear.

It seems as though when braking, something moves, then pops backed when stopped.

SOMETIMES, if I brake really gently itll do it on take off..

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks Shaun

Winnie
14th June 2012, 08:04 PM
Mine used to do that, it was the bottle jack in the rear. I put some rags around it to stop that

Tappa tappa

DX grunt
14th June 2012, 08:05 PM
G'day Shaun

Welcome aboard and glad you could join in.

If you zip over to Introductions and introduce yourself, you'll probably get a better response. We like people to intro themselves before they ask too many questions. lol

By the way, Clunk is always stopping - he drives a GQ. PML.

Take care out there.

Rossco

shaun100
14th June 2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys,

Yeah Ill head over to intro's shortly :-)

Im just scratching my head with this noise........

It seems as though something loads up when braking then lets go the second I stop...

Cheers

philfree
14th June 2012, 10:21 PM
check all your brake caliper bolts they can make weird noises when they come loose

4by
14th June 2012, 11:37 PM
Shaun, ive got exactly the same clunk. Sounds like coming from the rear as well. Mine also an auto. My last 2 gu's were manual which didnt do it.

Maybe check your rear trailing arm bushes. Ive had mine up on a hoist and had a good check around but nothing obvious. I recently bought mine as well and was doing it from the beginning.

Scottyc
15th June 2012, 12:43 AM
Hi All,

Long time lurker - however just bought my first patrol :-)

I have recently bought an 02 GU111 4.8 Auto Patrol.

It has a lovells 2" lift.

When Im slowing to a stop (well nearly stoppeed) theres a clunk from the rear.

It seems as though when braking, something moves, then pops backed when stopped.

SOMETIMES, if I brake really gently itll do it on take off..

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks Shaun

Shaun,

I just bought a GU IV 4.8 with this exact problem. I've left it with the dealer this week to get his mechanics to sort. I pick it up on Saturday so will let you know what they come up with!

Scott

Gas_Guzzler4800
15th June 2012, 07:57 AM
check your trailing arm bushes, grease and check for wear in the tailshaft slip joint

my third 256
15th June 2012, 08:48 AM
i think its from the break valve compensater (the thinge above rear dif )needs to be adjusted
had it in mine and i adjusted it and now no bump when stopping it seemed to do it when slowing to a stop real slow

shaun100
15th June 2012, 08:51 AM
check your trailing arm bushes, grease and check for wear in the tailshaft slip joint

I had a look and there doesnt seem to be a grease nipple in the rear slip joint??

Thanks to everyone :-)

oncedisturbed
15th June 2012, 09:27 AM
I have te same with 09 4.8 auto, just had all the checks doe and found out apparently there is a design fault with that type of auto box where it tries to "grab" 1st gear when slowing down.

Nissan aust / international are aware but won't do anything as it does't cause any damage to anything.

1 of the other members mentioned to put a bit of nulon in to help the hears "slide" smoother, haven't done it yet but will do

Sir Roofy
15th June 2012, 10:00 AM
I have te same with 09 4.8 auto, just had all the checks doe and found out apparently there is a design fault with that type of auto box where it tries to "grab" 1st gear when slowing down.

Nissan aust / international are aware but won't do anything as it does't cause any damage to anything.

1 of the other members mentioned to put a bit of nulon in to help the hears "slide" smoother, haven't done it yet but will do

surely over time this must put a strain on the box and cause damage
what if your going slow down hill and this starts to grab ?the weakest point would be your uni joints
cant see it not causeing damage some where

shaun100
15th June 2012, 04:26 PM
I did a bit of a experiment today.

When slowing down I put it into neutral, NO NOISE?????

Obviously the trans somewhere as mentioned above?

Any idea on what nulon product to use?

Thansk again all....

Robo
15th June 2012, 10:34 PM
I read some where recently about Falcon auto dropping into gear harshly, 1 of the valve body solenoids was the cause and replacement was the fix. hope this helps some what.

Try Penrite rep, they may know if it's a oil related problem.
might be a common problem an ad-pac fixes

Scottyc
16th June 2012, 09:38 PM
I picked mine up today (2004 GUIV 4.8 Auto) which had this clunking during test drive but otherwise mint. The dealer had said they'd fix for me prior to pickup. I got the car today and was given receipts for parts and fitting of all the bushes on the upper and lower control arms in the rear. The clunking is much improved but it's still there. The clunk is right at the point where forward motion of the vehicle stops and certainly feels like it's coming from the back. I'll hit all the nipples on the uni joints and drive shaft with a grease gun tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.

shaun100
16th June 2012, 10:21 PM
please let me know if that helps mate

shaun100
22nd June 2012, 06:16 PM
Well,

I went to 2 suspension places today and they completely checked it over. Nothing to be found, all good.

Any ideas from here???

Someone mentioned an additive for the trans, anyone know what one to use????

Thanks

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys,

Yeah Ill head over to intro's shortly :-)

Im just scratching my head with this noise........

It seems as though something loads up when braking then lets go the second I stop...

Cheers

I picked mine up today (2004 GUIV 4.8 Auto) which had this clunking during test drive but otherwise mint. The dealer had said they'd fix for me prior to pickup. I got the car today and was given receipts for parts and fitting of all the bushes on the upper and lower control arms in the rear. The clunking is much improved but it's still there. The clunk is right at the point where forward motion of the vehicle stops and certainly feels like it's coming from the back. I'll hit all the nipples on the uni joints and drive shaft with a grease gun tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.

Hey guys,
I'd appreciate it if you two guys could jump over to the Intro section and post up an Intro. The forum likes folks to say G'day. Shaun i note you have been asked already, have a go at it mate ;)

Scottyc
27th June 2012, 10:10 PM
Hey guys,
I'd appreciate it if you two guys could jump over to the Intro section and post up an Intro. The forum likes folks to say G'day. Shaun i note you have been asked already, have a go at it mate ;)

Will do so - thanks mate.

Shaun,

I greased her up and no different but while underneath, I noticed the bolts on both ends of all four trailing arms were dirty and no indication they had been turned since the car was built. Unless the dealers mechanic replaced them using magic, the receipt I have for the replacement and fitting of these is BS. In addition, I can see chewed rubber coming out from around the front bushing on the drivers side lower control arm. I still think these are the problem.

As to why it only happens on the autos - I have had a TD42 GU manual in the past and hand brake was on the drive shaft, right behind the gearbox, on this it's on the rear wheels. Also, some suggested the brake bias valve but this GU doesn't seem to have this, either?

Further observations, and confirm if yours is the same, but mine is only when you come to a stop and release or reduce braking. ie I come to a full stop and if I keep my foot on the brake as much or more than during braking, no clunk until I release. This would be explained if the bushes were shagged because they'd allow the entire axle to rotate slightly - rotation which would be held until the brakes released at which point the axle "clunks" back to centre. By design, the rear brakes will release before the front.

What y'all think?

tobysbrand
2nd July 2012, 09:12 PM
hey yer i have the same problem with my 07 3l auto it clunks when ya giving it around conres its got me stuffed what it is i am a diesel fitter by trade and cant find anything ahhh i wanna find out what it is thanks

shaun100
10th September 2012, 08:04 PM
Ok, need more help before I set fire to this car.

I have now replaced upper control arms, any more ideas...PLEASE!!!!!

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
10th September 2012, 08:54 PM
shock bushes????? I find it hard to believe the gearbox is at fault

nissannewby
10th September 2012, 11:06 PM
Is the handbrake on the inside of each rotor?

shaun100
10th September 2012, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah,

And it doesnt seem to do it if I stop using the handbrake rather than footbrake??

Thanks

nissannewby
11th September 2012, 03:41 AM
Handbrake mechanism might be possibly binding up under braking?

Kevs GU
11th September 2012, 07:13 PM
High guys have the 4.8 auto also and it does the clunk when i stop as well.But noticed it does not do it when pulling the camper trailer might have something to do with the brake bias system.

shaun100
11th September 2012, 07:37 PM
I isolated the rear brakes today and its still there although not as prominent.

Is it possible for the spring to be moving on its upper mount?

I noticed what "looks" like a mark where it MAY be moving??

Kevs GU
11th September 2012, 07:48 PM

Mine done it with the standard spriings and then after putting a 2" lift in

taslucas
11th September 2012, 08:44 PM

So it doesnt happen when braking using handbrake which is braking through the rear wheels, but it does it when rear brakes are isolated. Would that suggest it is more likely to be coming from the front?
Which spring has the mark?

shaun100
11th September 2012, 09:28 PM
So it doesnt happen when braking using handbrake which is braking through the rear wheels, but it does it when rear brakes are isolated. Would that suggest it is more likely to be coming from the front?
Which spring has the mark?

Drivers rear.

Dirty troll
10th November 2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Shaun,
Just browsing and I saw your post mate. I thought I'd offer my similar story.

I had a problem awhile back with my GU. A knock only distiguishable just as the vehicle motion stops. I could hear it as Ive had the vehicle awhile, but it could easily be missed if not paying attention.
At any rate I replaced bushes pushed and pulled flexed and swore and basically chased my ass for awhile until after considerable time spent underneath I noticed a slight witness mark on the gearbox mounts and then noticed how sagged they really were. It seems the gearbox mounts were worn to point of making a slight knock as it came to rest.

I replaced these myself and problem solved. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Frosty

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 08:58 AM
Very interesting outcome on this one.. Hopefully the little but if oil helps..

Mine used to do that, it was the bottle jack in the rear. I put some rags around it to stop that.

To stop this issue I simply wind up my jack against the lid so it's positively held in place.. No more rattles..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Scottyc
12th December 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Shaun,

No progress for me. I took mine back to the dealer who's mechanic couldn't find any issues and was actually using this thread for troubleshooting (there was a printed copy left in the car when I picked it up). I had my own mechanic take a look. He laid underneath the car while I shifted from drive to reverse and back and thinks the slack leading to the clunk is definitely in the gearbox or transfer case. Suspicion of the transfer case is furthered by the fact that the Patrol is EXTREMELY hard to get into low range. Looking at the parts view of the transfer case, I'm suspecting it's a problem with the shift sleeve on the high/low part of the system. The shaft from the gearbox through the transfer case is in two parts. The sleeve joins the two parts for normal driving and high range and a shift fork slides the sleeve forward splitting the shaft in two and directing the drive through a secondary shaft from the input then back to the output. A split or worn sleeve would (in theory) lead to the clunking AND difficult High/Low shifting. For now, I'm just dealing with the clunking and will pull the transfer case and have a look when I get time.

I've bought another transfer case for parts but having a bit of trouble getting it picked up as it's in a rural area. Once it arrives, I'll hopefully be able to have a crack and I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,

Scott

Scottyc
8th October 2014, 10:16 PM
So almost 2 years later, seems I finally got this sorted. I bought a replacement transfer case but hadn't got around to swapping it in. I had, in the mean time, read elsewhere that it might be the propeller shaft causing the trouble - more specifically the slip yoke. I'd discounted this as a drive shaft place had already taken a look while it was on the car and said everything looked fine other than that I'd used too much grease on the yoke.

Whilst browsing ebay, I came across a used rear shaft for a 4.8 auto for under $100 so I threw a bid on and won. I fitted it this weekend and lo-and behold, the clunk is gone. Feels like a different vehicle. The new shaft has a few dents so is probably going to cause some vibration at speed but I'll try and get the old one reconditioned when I have some spare cash - sorted.