PDA

View Full Version : Sound system upgrade

Flo-w
14th June 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi Forum,

I like good sound and a bit of base when listening to music. That's why I'd like to upgrade the sound system of my GQ. The previous owner added a Sony Xplode head unit. It wouldn't be my choice but should be sufficient to power better speakers in the doors. It get's a bit more complicated with a subwoofer and an amplifier. I was thinking subwoofer under the seat (since I've a storage system in the boot). But it might get wet there when crossing those rivers...

Does anyone have experience with a sound system upgrade which would suit a fully packed touring GQ going through sand, mud and rivers?

Thanks for reeding,
Flo-w

Winnie
14th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Sub under the seat is a bad idea, I had one and it sounded horrible because the seat muffled it. I've got 6.5" splits in the front, 6x9s in the rear and a 15" sub. Can post photos of speaker setups if you're interested

Tappa tappa

Rhyso
14th June 2012, 11:17 PM
i used to work installing car stereos and if ur after better sound and base your best bet is an amplifier and a pair of splits
youl b amazed at the difference and clarity
i use a kicker ute comp pack which is fairly priced for wat u get
a slim line sub wich is easy to find space for (just dont rexommend under seats and always make sure its secured) and the amp is only small, plus wiring wen done properly can easily be hidden and ure splits well 6inch speakers are usualy in the door cards and ur tweeters can mount anywhere on ur pillars, dash or doorcards when installed neatly ;)
speaks powered off head unit dont provide a great sound or clarity because they are underpowered
and having the full range of bass from sub, voice from the 6inchs and ur high stuf from ur tweeters, a tuned properly so that each component is playing the noise it is designed for will make ur sound clear and loud
sorry i love this stuf haha i could go on forever

Rhyso
14th June 2012, 11:27 PM
basically a slim line sub and amp which a pair of splits (6inch speakers and tweeters) is the best to install, if done properly from there its just a matter of adjusting ur crossovers high and low pass filters so ul get the best clarity which can b done on the amp and headunit if its decent and ul have the best sound possible without going over the top haha

45/70
15th June 2012, 12:47 AM
I agree with Rhyso, just remember your ears are on the front of your head not at the back so you want your best speakers at the front of your GQ.
As Rhyso said, the best set of splits you can afford for the front doors is your best bet then just power your rear speakers off your head unit.
I would then get a good quality 4ch amp and run your front split's off 2 ch then bridge your other 2 ch to get your mono ch for your sub.
You mentioned you are running a storage system in the back, have you thought of incorperating a sub into this? there a lot of good sub's out there now that will run well in a small sealed enclosure.
good luck with it all and dont forget the pics.

ozzyboy
15th June 2012, 02:25 PM
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/P1050229.jpg

6" speakers in front doors / tweeters on sills, and the sub / amp in face of drawers that sit just behind 2nd row of seats.
couple of 6x9's tucked on the side of drawer top, and sounds a treat :)

ozz

Flo-w
15th June 2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
I thought of decent speakers in the doors already; I like better sound not just more boom.
I will have to see where I could integrate a sub in the storage system. I'm afraid I didn't plan for this when I built the system just a month ago... But there is some space between it and the cargo barrier.

Any idea what would happen if speakers get submerged in water, possibly while they're powered?

And another one: would you power the amp from the first or second battery?

Cheers

45/70
16th June 2012, 01:51 PM
Check this out Flo-w.

http://www.ryda.com.au/Marine-Speakers-s/25.htm