PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from mountain goat country in NSW

1nertia
14th June 2012, 05:04 PM
Hi all, name's Mike. Recently acquired an 88 model GQ 4.2lt carby.

It's my second 4wd after a long line of lowered cars, Celica, Commodores, Falcon and a Skyline. Got my first fourby late last year. A 90 model Pathfinder. Thing was an absolute piece of junk, but I loved it (as girly as it sounds) for the simple fact that no matter what was wrong with it, it did its best to run. It was very disappointing to see her go, but for the stuff that I was doing/trying to do, the T-bar front end was a real let down. So I decided to move to something with solid front and rear. Hence the GQ.

It has promptly be named the Sherman Tank by my father, thanks to its 1940s style fuel economy. She has a couple of mods on her at the moment, including lifted suspension, 35 inch mud tires, an ARB steel bullbar, UHF, and IPF spotlight and spreader.

Anyway, decided it was about time to join a forum that specializes for these awesome machines, so here I am. Thanks for having me.

Mike.

AB
14th June 2012, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike and congrats on the new beast!!!

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2012, 05:12 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Mike,

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can

So where is mountain goat country, sounds like a place I would like 2 live :)

Looking forward to seeing some pics in the members ride section of your best.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

1nertia
14th June 2012, 05:18 PM
Should of been more specific. Blue mountains is mountain goat country.

Not as much fun up here as would be expected, since the BMCC has developed a fetish for gating anything remotely like a 4wd track, thanks to the occasional walker demanding that no one but them have access.

I'll definitely join in on some of the conversations, and hopefully help some people out as well.

Thanks again.

Sir Roofy
14th June 2012, 05:23 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

growler2058
14th June 2012, 05:24 PM
Gday Mike welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Silver
14th June 2012, 05:36 PM
Welcome, Mike!!

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2012, 06:27 PM
Should of been more specific. Blue mountains is mountain goat country.

Not as much fun up here as would be expected, since the BMCC has developed a fetish for gating anything remotely like a 4wd track, thanks to the occasional walker demanding that no one but them have access.

I'll definitely join in on some of the conversations, and hopefully help some people out as well.

Thanks again.

hahahahahaha, yeh the BMCC are very good at closing anything that might be considered a track, yep for some reason the walkers don't like 2 share. I love going for a bush walk, but also love somewhere 2 play in the 4b or on the dirt bike. Where about's in the Blue Mountains???? I'm from the lower BM in Warrimoo.

Dhuck
14th June 2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

1nertia
14th June 2012, 08:21 PM
hahahahahaha, yeh the BMCC are very good at closing anything that might be considered a track, yep for some reason the walkers don't like 2 share. I love going for a bush walk, but also love somewhere 2 play in the 4b or on the dirt bike. Where about's in the Blue Mountains???? I'm from the lower BM in Warrimoo.

With all honesty, I may have been the cause of the Terrace Falls fire trail closing. I got bogged in a clay pit on it after the bad rains we had earlier this year. Had to get my dad to come yank me out with his 80s Cruiser, while we are doing that, a bike rider decides to come up a try to pick a fight with us about destroying the bush. A few days after that they close the track - apparently for track condition, but the only vehicles that went down there were full blown 4wds anyway. It's kind of a whacked decision/idea they've got. 4wds and their owners actually do a lot more track maintenance than the bi-centennial grader does (slight exaggeration). I live in Hazelbrook at the moment, with my girlfriend, possibly going back with the parents in a month, since I'll be working with them.

Bigrig
14th June 2012, 08:53 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2012, 09:21 PM
I very much doubt you were the cause of it closing down, Its very well know for MTB, and once mountain bike riders are involved it will get closed down 2 4wd access unfortunatly. There are some really good tracks around Sun Valley, but yeh all closed off :(

Have fun finding tracks around the BM, Closest tracks really are Lithgow, which is still to far if you only want 2 go out for an afternoon play.

Finly Owner
14th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Mike

Tim

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2012, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the Forum Mike, Good bunch of folks here mate.

Cheers MR

1nertia
14th June 2012, 10:16 PM
I very much doubt you were the cause of it closing down, Its very well know for MTB, and once mountain bike riders are involved it will get closed down 2 4wd access unfortunatly. There are some really good tracks around Sun Valley, but yeh all closed off :(

Have fun finding tracks around the BM, Closest tracks really are Lithgow, which is still to far if you only want 2 go out for an afternoon play.

I was out at Lithgow just last monday. unfortunately, that will be it for a few weeks since I have some problem with my brakes loosing pressure now, and the locking washer for my left front wheel bearings doesn't work, so I'm only a couple of hundred metres away from loosing it entirely.
All fun and games! She'll be back up and running soon enough, just gotta get the cash for repairs.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, much appreciated!

MEGOMONSTER
15th June 2012, 06:52 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Maxhead
16th June 2012, 08:04 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate