PDA

View Full Version : help for newbies setting up a patrol?

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 08:21 PM
hey guys im new to 4by's and was just wandering is there a post or cld someone help build a post for people new to 4by's on how to set it up there patro lfor bassic offroad use?
being new and shopping for a patrol id love to know what my next steps would b to make it reasonable offroad
i know of basic things like suspension lift, body lift, bigger tyres and type, plus lockers etc.
but i wouldnt have a clue wat to do first or how high to go and so on
now i know its different for every application and probably model but a rough idea for a bigginer would b ausom
hopefuly someome can help

growler2058
13th June 2012, 08:32 PM
If keeping it simple sweet id go 33" muddies (Mickey thompson MTZ my choice) 2" lift then a front auto LoKKa. Done! (rims to suit also)

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 08:38 PM
yer wel i guess as most newbies geting into 4wd's il start simple n build up from there haha
pretty much wat i figured a little bit more clearance n more grip shld do it ;)

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 09:27 PM
I believe the first expense for all beginners in a decent set up, would be a decent recovery kit including front and rear recovery points.

Tim

growler2058
13th June 2012, 09:36 PM
yer wel i guess as most newbies geting into 4wd's il start simple n build up from there haha
pretty much wat i figured a little bit more clearance n more grip shld do it ;)

A patrol with 2" and a decent set of rubber is a winner straight away for touring/4wd Australia wide. You really only need more if ya going to "play"

Tapp tillya Crap

DX grunt
13th June 2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Rhyso

You're gunna get lotsa advice and you need to weigh up your wants versus needs - then prioritize.

Keep it legal and don't live in fear of a canary on the windscreen.

Get a REVS check and roadworthy - before you open your mouth, give a handshake, sign any paperwork or hand over any money.

Get to know your truck. Read the Owner's Manual. It's amazing how much info is in that little book. lol

If you're not reasonably confident, do a 4wd course with a company that is a Registered Training Organisation. If they let you do the course in your truck, it would be better for you as it should give you more confidence. If they supply the recovery gear, even better. Then you should see what gear works for you and you could save yourself a lot of money or give you some ideas on what you need.

Do lots of research. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time if need be and don't be impatient - it will happen. Do things properly the first time and make every mod a new goal.

There are lots of good people on this forum with different driving styles. Personally, I'm not into mud or flexing over rocks - they don't 'float my boat.' lol.

I love camping. That's why I've set my truck up the way I have.

As Tim has said....front and rear recovery points and a decent recovery kit.

You also need a decent first aid kit, fire extinguisher and UHF CB.

I'd also consider joining a 4wd club. Lots of trucks with lots of ideas - keep looking for ideas and see what suits your new found love.

It's a great place to start friendships too, and club outings vary quite considerably, so you'll get lots of variation of styles of driving/activities

Hope this helps.... Basically, what I'm saying is take your time, do your homework and don't rush into things. I get pumped with what I see, but my decisions are based on my wallet - and that takes time.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 10:19 PM
well iv bought and sold a few cars before so iv learnt those lessons the hard way
as for experience iv got land at home n an old land rover with a 202 holden motor in it n a pto winch and wev got plenty of steep muddy places n stuf to climb over so iv had a crack at all that but i wouldnt go bush without mates whov been before
as for recovery points im a welder by trade and would love to fab my own any tips wld appreciated as to where to locate and we also have acess to ibolts with load ratings etc if there handy?
but a recovery kit and uhf i hadnt thought of cheers :)

DX grunt
13th June 2012, 10:22 PM
well iv bought and sold a few cars before so iv learnt those lessons the hard way
as for experience iv got land at home n an old land rover with a 202 holden motor in it n a pto winch and wev got plenty of steep muddy places n stuf to climb over so iv had a crack at all that but i wouldnt go bush without mates whov been before
as for recovery points im a welder by trade and would love to fab my own any tips wld appreciated as to where to locate and we also have acess to ibolts with load ratings etc if there handy?
but a recovery kit and uhf i hadnt thought of cheers :)

Don't forget the first aid kit. I make it my policy not to go reasonably serious without at least another vehicle with me. Even a tojo would be better than nothing. lol

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 10:26 PM
also i havnt purchased my patrol yet so this is my research and so far iv learnt heaps on here
i want to buy a gq patrol ute so i can fab my own tray at work but also go bush
eventualy id like to build it up so it can flex better and climb rocks and stuf but il take it slowly being new to it

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 10:28 PM
first aid kit another good one
and yer i wouldnt be so keen if i didnt have a few mates that are pretty serious about it
i wouldnt go without them
its probablu doing all the fab work on there 4by's that got me hooked haha

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 10:38 PM
Best tobuy your recovery points. A Hayman Reece towbar receiver style fitted solidly to chasis can be used as rear point. You can do this by either placing the eye of the snatch strap in the receiver hole and slide the tow pin through. Or buy a receiver style recovery point.

You can also purchase recovery points to bolt onto your chasis. The factory recovery has mixed beliefs as to whether or not to use them. But the QNPCI belong to, do teach you to use it.

As with all recovery points they need to be inspected for signs of fatigue after being used, including the bolts and chasis. Talking of bolts, you need to research which type High Tensile Bolts will be needed. There willbe many suggestions, but each rating and type of metal gives a different actual breaking point. Get it wrong and you could cause a death.

I did put up a full bolt listing long time ago I"ll try to find it and refresh it inthreads.

Tim

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 11:12 PM
one thing iv noticed is everyone here is very serious about the dangers of recovering a vehile especially using a towball which obviously shldnt b done
but the bolt on recovery points iv seen for sale have just been folded steel
now i fab n weld heavy industrial equipment that has lifting points that have to b welded or botled and have load ratings and have to b tested so il b pretty fussy
has anyone reinforced there chassis or location of recovery point, or done weld on recovery points?

bazzad
13th June 2012, 11:12 PM
Rhyso,
Glad you asked this question, I will share with you somethings I learned along time ago from an aussie icon. A standard patrol with a smart driver will get to 90% of the places you want to go. Don't be afraid to boil the billy, have a cup of tea and consider the options. Get out there and get the practice for the next 10% because its worth it.
Some sound advice from DX grunt
good luck
bazzad

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 11:23 PM
Rhyso,
Glad you asked this question, I will share with you somethings I learned along time ago from an aussie icon. A standard patrol with a smart driver will get to 90% of the places you want to go. Don't be afraid to boil the billy, have a cup of tea and consider the options. Get out there and get the practice for the next 10% because its worth it.
Some sound advice from DX grunt
good luck
bazzad

love it!! haha

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 11:55 PM
I too have pointed out in one ofmy rants, that, a bolt through the chasis s only any goog if spacered in the chasis and support either side. If you can make as above I'd say go for it.

Tim

Rhyso
14th June 2012, 09:09 AM
haha im not a great fan of bolts, seen to many shear and snap, even load rated i bolts, i prefer to weld, if done properly itl outlast any bolt

MQ MAD
14th June 2012, 04:08 PM
Rhyso,
A standard patrol with a smart driver will get to 90% of the places you want to go.
bazzad

Most standard 4bies will be sufficient for the average punter
Its those who think either, their a better driver than everyone else,or they buy stuff well beyond their driving abilities that come unstuck the most
The first question one would ask, how much money do you want to spent ???, how far off the tarmac you want to go ???
You can spend over a grand on 4 tyres no problems, a good few grand on upgraded suspension,good winch and a decent winch bar there goes another few grand

97_gq_lwb
14th June 2012, 04:26 PM
One of the first times i ever got stuck was in a patrol auto petrol when i least expected it.
Learn't a valuable lesson don't go out alone without a winch.
I bought a chinese 12500 lbs winch for about $350 and it has paid for itself time and time again since even when with others in spots they couldn't get into.
It always pulls my patrol out with ease no matter how bad i have been stuck.

Rhyso
14th June 2012, 08:22 PM
definately not thinking about heading out alone
went out with a mate alone in his hilix n it started to pour heavy rain n visibility was pretty poor n we got stuck down a track with a tree across it n it took us ages to turn it around on a narrow track n head back up hill, wld of been alot easier with mates
a winch is def on the list tho iv had to use the pto on our old landy a few times where iv got stuck and another vehicle wld only get stuck tryna help me
i guess im budgetting $10g for the ute and aimimg to have enough saved to buy the basic important stuf first
it wont hurt me to wait awile before i go offroad until im properly set up
id stil have to build the tray n sliders etc. haha

aussiemale
15th June 2012, 07:16 PM
You'll get heaps of ideas from Members builds mate. I'm in the process of project building (Bryans MQ/MK Build) and have found a wealth of info/tips advice from most on here.
Will repeat the above in relation to 1st aid kit and recovery gear and DON'T RUSH. If you come to an obstacle take a breather, try and look outside the square and remember Mechanical always beats physical (use the 4x4 and not muscle)

Rhyso
15th June 2012, 07:38 PM
yer i also dont plan to outdo the vehicles capabilities, il also b one step
ahead with modifications to allow it to go further ;)

Chris79
16th June 2012, 05:27 PM
Given that your from victoria and most of the stuff down here is mud and ruts, I wouldnt bother with focusing on a flexy suspension setup. Any patrol will have enough, particularly after it is lifted.
2" lift, Mud tyres at least 33" and front locker will get you through all but the hardcore tracks.
3" - 4" lift, 35" tyres, locker and winch is the perfect setup for a victorian patrol in my opinion (if your prepared for trouble with the boy's in blue) but will still diff out on some tracks these days. You can tackle any track your game with this setup.
Going up to 37" tyres may help on .5% of tracks but will turn the car into major cop bait and you'll have to do all the other associated modifications like diff gearing, transfer gearing, panel work etc.

Bar work etc is a personal choice, I like to keep my cars minimalist with just a bullbar. Keep the car as light as possible imo. But sliders will be high on the list for my next car.

Rhyso
17th June 2012, 10:15 PM
cheers man sounds like a good plan
not to worried bout the boys in blue cop enough without a 4x4 haha

GQ TANK
17th June 2012, 11:56 PM
I agree

32 / 33 mud tyres
2 inch susp lift
Front diff lock min - rear would be nice as well
front & rear recovery points
UHF cb - if you get incolved with a club
Winch
driving lights

Get involved with a club - best place to learn techniques

oncedisturbed
18th June 2012, 10:09 AM
everyone else has pretty much covered everything. I recently did my Patrol (Gino's GU thread). I went with 2" lift and 33" A/T's to ensure I kept it legal also it suits me as I am not into rock hopping or mud swimming and has served very well so far. No lokka as yet but that is not to say I may look at 1 down the track. This is a basic list of what I have included as a must (for me, other's have their own to suit what they do).

2" lift with 33" A/T's
Winch (you decide on what style / size)
First Aid Kit
Fire Extinguisher
UHF
Axe / Hatchett
Bar work (Again you decide what will suit your purpose)
Snorkel (Not just for crossings but also provides cleaner air intake)

Anything on top of that "to a point" would be luxury items such as lokka's, reduction gears etc. There are so many options available to help you set up your troll from touring right through to comp spec. Would be best to go through the members rigs threads and see what other's have done to give you a better idea on mods / addons and remember not everything needs to be done at once, the troll basically is a living thing that will always expand and consume your soul MUAH

Rhyso
25th June 2012, 10:39 PM
cheers man iv been cruising this forum for a wile now n iv got my ute lined up with a bit done to it which makes the list a bit shorter but im pretty set now
n i think regardless off wat set up your aiming for the base set up is pretty similar

hooked in on tapatalk

threedogs
30th June 2012, 04:25 PM
Do all your accessories first, then talk to your suspension guy, tell him of any future mods, batteries, winch etc. Then he can fit springs etc to suit your truck accordingly. Don't do Springs first or you'll find you'll be upgrading them again later on. makes sense . If you're doing a ute don't forget all that area under the tray

threedogs
30th June 2012, 04:43 PM
Don't confuse lifting WWL and SWL it does not apply, you need recovery points rated to tow not lift. so many people think SWL is ok, it's not

Have sent you a PM