PDA

View Full Version : Project Car

GQ snail
12th June 2012, 08:27 AM
Hay hay.

Looking at getting a project car. Thinking MQ short wheel base. Want turn into a ute. Thoughts people? Even if you know of a good model and year am open to change.

taslucas
12th June 2012, 10:32 AM
A shorty MQ or MK with the canopy off virtually is a Ute just fill in behind the seats. Theres a swb GQ getting around here that has been cut into a Ute. I'll try to get some pics for ya. It looks tough!

Tap, crackle, pop

nissannewby
12th June 2012, 11:29 AM
You can bolt GQ ute cabs onto them i think. And have seen ute cabs not cuts on SWB chassis and look quite good.

MQ MAD
12th June 2012, 12:17 PM
MQ/MK shorty into ute ???
Styleside obviously ???
They have removable canopies,so thats good,havent seen one with a rear wall in them yet, as im looking into the idea
MQ/MK ute cabs bolt straigh on , except the rear cab mounting brackets, the ute chassis have extra brackets for that,but the rest fine tho
What sorta money you looking at spending ???
Petrol/diesel/turbo diesel ???

GQ snail
12th June 2012, 07:32 PM
MQ/MK shorty into ute ???
Styleside obviously ???
They have removable canopies,so thats good,havent seen one with a rear wall in them yet, as im looking into the idea
MQ/MK ute cabs bolt straigh on , except the rear cab mounting brackets, the ute chassis have extra brackets for that,but the rest fine tho
What sorta money you looking at spending ???
Petrol/diesel/turbo diesel ???

Yeah def want get MQ and take canopy off making a shorty style side, although I love the GQ shape so now I know it bolts onto that chassis I may look into that a bit more. Looking at know more than 1500 - 2000 initial buy in. willing to wait till good one comes up for money. Want turbo diesel, but willing to outlay for that in the long run.

Richo460
12th June 2012, 07:40 PM
yeah get a LWB gq and cut it down. I reckon the SWB look funny when cut down. I am planning to cut one into an extra cab ute one of these days when i get a normal job.

Brendan56
12th June 2012, 07:52 PM
I'd love a shorty GU ;D

MQ MAD
13th June 2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah def want get MQ and take canopy off making a shorty style side, although I love the GQ shape so now I know it bolts onto that chassis I may look into that a bit more. Looking at know more than 1500 - 2000 initial buy in. willing to wait till good one comes up for money. Want turbo diesel, but willing to outlay for that in the long run.

The MQ/Mks with the canopies off ,look good, but theres no wall behind seats, so when it rains,youll get water in there,minute detail
Im deciding to either go a rear wall in a shorty,ala stumpy type ute,or cut the roof off just behind windscreen,ala convertable style
If ya got 2 grand you can buy my turbo diesel ute,5 speed box,4.88 diffs,spring lift,body lift, dirve it away

The GQ bodies,mite bolt up but the GQ diffs are wider than MQ/MK diffs ,so doin that itll look like its been tubbed,the wheels will be way in