PDA

View Full Version : making a change for the best.

dan dog
12th June 2012, 12:58 AM
hi guys and girls. names danny live in Dubbo nsw. ive finaly made the descion to of load my hilux and buy a gq. if all goes well the hilux will have a new owner come thursday. i have a guy traveling 4 hrs to look it, so fingers crossed.
Now as stated im after a gq with plans for a dual cab chop (seems to be the thing to do these days). i really was a toyota man so know nothing about the patrols. what are bad points of these vehicals that i should be looking out for? i.ve heard rust around the windows and gutter rails. im not really bothered wether petrol/gas or diesal. what are the 2.8 diesals like. some feed back on performance,reliability and maintance costs would be great. i,ve noticed there are heaps of automatic gq's about. again some feed back on these would be great though i think im deadset on a manual.
i would guess that the TB4.2 would be very thirsty. how do they handle a turbo?

so please guys dont be shy. all feed back from you will be greatly appreciated. looking forward to hitting some tracks soon in a nice gq.
cheers Danny.

growler2058
12th June 2012, 05:19 AM
G'day Danny welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tapp tillya Crap

Maxhead
12th June 2012, 06:20 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

White Elephant
12th June 2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Danny. Enjoy your stay!

I've got an RD28T GQ(2.8 turbo diesel) and have had it for near on 9 years. Love it, as long as you keep it well maintained you should be sweet. The TB42's are hell thirsty. Most people go for the TD42 and whack an aftermarket turbo on em, but they are hell thirsty too! It really depends on the kind of driving you want to do mate, but I'm sure others will be along with their 2 cents as well!

Dhuck
12th June 2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Brendan56
12th June 2012, 08:47 PM
BigRig is the man to talk to about the tb42. I'm sure he'll pop in at some point.

Welcome and have fun!
Cheers, Brendan.

perni_a
12th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Welcome Danny. good luck for the sale of the hilux. hehe

Finly Owner
12th June 2012, 10:16 PM
Hi and welcome To Nissans Nut House Danny

Tim

dan dog
13th June 2012, 01:29 AM
thanks for the welcome guys. ive been having a look around, lots of knowledge here. will be picking your brains soon enough.

good news.
deposit has been taken for my hilux and will be picked up on saturday. So the hunt is on for the gq. going to have a look at a 93 gq tomorrow EFI 4.2, manual, 220,000km. but clear coat is coming bonnet, roof and top of front guards. this must be pretty common as lots ive seen driving around have this happening.

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2012, 06:48 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Winnie
13th June 2012, 07:21 AM
If you're going to go with the TB42, stick with the fuel injected model. March of 92 was when they started, mine is one of the very first, 290,000kms and going bloody strong!

Tappa tappa

dan dog
13th June 2012, 10:38 AM
guy just pulled out of sale on hilux:(. i have a couple of others coming to look at it on weekend now. all seem realy keen. so hopefully a sale is made come saturday.

dan dog
23rd July 2012, 09:19 PM
finally sold my hilux last week. picked up a 90 maverick 4.2 diesal today. seen it parked out the back of a car yard as i drove past. me being me i had to stop to find out more. dealer only took delivery on friday arvo. i took it for a spin and was really suprised on how well it drove. pointed out some small issues to car sales man and offered a figure. 10 minutes later i drove it out the gate. ill start a bit of a build thread when i get sometime.

Ade
23rd July 2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome on board Dan..

You've got the best of GQ..TD42. Congratulation!!!

threedogs
24th July 2012, 07:13 AM
Welcome aboard mate, great bunch of people here with plenty of info as well Enjoy

taslucas
24th July 2012, 08:11 AM
finally sold my hilux last week. picked up a 90 maverick 4.2 diesal today. seen it parked out the back of a car yard as i drove past. me being me i had to stop to find out more. dealer only took delivery on friday arvo. i took it for a spin and was really suprised on how well it drove. pointed out some small issues to car sales man and offered a figure. 10 minutes later i drove it out the gate. ill start a bit of a build thread when i get sometime.

Good stuff Dan! The fun starts now!