PDA

View Full Version : First Mod Chip or Lift

vfamily
11th June 2012, 01:44 PM
Im saving for my first mod and trying to decide between a chipit chip with egt or a 2" lift what do you reckon would be the best first mod?

Cheers

megatexture
11th June 2012, 03:26 PM
id prob go the lift depends if you go offroad much, lift.. tyres... then look at power.without traction all the power in the world wont help

grimace
11th June 2012, 09:51 PM
g'day mate, i agree with megatexture lift first then tyres then speaking from my experience i would get an after market exhaust as they usualy have the provision for the egt probe not to mention the added performance. there is also communications lights etc. forget about the chip for now! there are too many other goodies you can buy with that coin cheers....oh and don't forget the recovery gear!!

Maxhead
11th June 2012, 10:04 PM
From memory you gave a GU8 so definitely go the lift first. I left my stock tyres on to get a bit of wear out of them before I upgrade. Worry about the chip later(plenty of go in them anyway) I just put in a beaudesert 2.75" exhaust and it rocks.(I needed it for towing)
There's plenty of other mods I would spend my money on then a chip...later on Yes but not as a priority.

Have fun...that list will grow and grow and grow...HAHAH

gowalkabout.com.au
12th June 2012, 05:25 PM
I have to agree with the others get the lift first. i would then be looking at tyres and recovery stuff (there are a lot of toyotas out there to help lol). I have put alot of extra weight on mine and tow a camper trailer and the extra power would be nice on the BIG hills but it's not needed.
have fun with the mods

vfamily
13th June 2012, 06:55 PM
its looking like a lift might be the go, im looking at OME with the sport shocks and airbags $1700 fitted does that sound about right?

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2012, 07:07 PM
its looking like a lift might be the go, im looking at OME with the sport shocks and airbags $1700 fitted does that sound about right?

I have a GUIV and run a 3" OME Comp spec lift as they dont do "non-Comp" sec due to legal limitations of beyond 2" lift.

I love it and have Zero regrets. Note also that a Comp Spec lift came without a Warranty of any kind but i figured that it was OME! What could go wrong! No regrets for 80,000ks and some very rugged touring through Central. Heading to the Madigan Line in a couple of weeks and very please to have OME under the car.

I fitted Air bags to the rear too but found i dont need them when towing the camper as it sits great without the extra help. I drive around with 3 to 5psi in them only. I towed on Friday last week a Very Full Tandem furnature trailer full to the top with heavy boxes (probably close to 3ton) and it was the first time i have looked to the airbags for trim adjustment.

Unless your going to be towing a big van or something you might not need the air bags. My Camper is at least a ton and a half and i do not inflate the bags when towing it.

Hope that helps.

The price seems OK, the bags are going to add about 20mins a worst to the fit up of a new suspension kit......Probably 10 minutes to be honest.

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 09:52 PM
1st Mod recovery Kit and recovery points front and rear.
2nd mod UHF radio tobe in contact with other 4Bs' around you while out & about.
Then lift, tyres, and so on.

Tim

megatexture
13th June 2012, 09:55 PM
a hand held would suffice for a day out in a convoy or 4wheeling with the boys on the weekend if budget is a high priority

gowalkabout.com.au
14th June 2012, 07:37 AM
I have just fitted a 2" OME lift and put 300kg springs in the rear and with full draws and 2 fridges and a fully loaded camper the whole rig is perfect and unloaded driving around town and offroad the ride is great. Very happy with the setup. The price sounds about right but I would ask if they can do better I paid a few hundred less but I did get a lot of other stuff

vfamily
14th June 2012, 07:39 PM
I have just fitted a 2" OME lift and put 300kg springs in the rear and with full draws and 2 fridges and a fully loaded camper the whole rig is perfect and unloaded driving around town and offroad the ride is great. Very happy with the setup. The price sounds about right but I would ask if they can do better I paid a few hundred less but I did get a lot of other stuff

Did you also install airbags or just heavy springs in the rear?

gowalkabout.com.au
15th June 2012, 09:03 PM
No airbags just the springs

MEGOMONSTER
15th June 2012, 10:27 PM
I did the chip and exhaust first.
Lift still to come, probably closer to tyres needing changing

Dingo55
17th June 2012, 01:29 PM
get a 4.2 tdi & forget the chip :Yahoo!:

Fred Schenck
18th June 2012, 08:45 PM
I go for lift first, however fit the truck out with the permanant gear first eg Bull Bar, winch long range tanks etc as this will dictate the KG of the coils.

megatexture
18th June 2012, 09:51 PM
you can always just plan ahead and estimate the extra items weight provided you’re not going to take years to fit it all lol

vfamily
18th June 2012, 10:47 PM
Cheers all
I have orded a 2" OME lift, to fix up the lowrider
I was looking at the
50-100kg springs up front alloy bar plus dual batt
Med duty springs rear with firestone airbags, will not be fitting draws as i need to retain the 7 seater, tow a jayco flamingo which has a heavy ball weight so i will use the airbags to take out the sag
Is it worth getting the Heavy Duty Airbags or just stick with standard?
Thanks for the help

megatexture
19th June 2012, 12:43 AM
i don’t think there was much of a price difference between them but more than likely couldn’t hurt to have the thicker wall on the airbags for off-road

Fred Schenck
19th June 2012, 09:44 PM
Long as you can put up with the rough ride in the early stages

Brisvegas
22nd June 2012, 09:57 PM
Lift her up and give it some clearance!!