PDA

View Full Version : nissan dash board kilometers

narna
10th June 2012, 10:11 AM
hi all i was recently going to purchase a nissan patrol 1999 the guy said it had only done 245,000kms but when we got there the car had done 470,000kms but he said he had replaced the dash he got one from the wreckers and he had no idea that the kilometers would change because of the new dash he put in is this guy correct or is he trying to scam it is a petrol and i think he is telling the truth but is there a way we can find out ??????thanks

growler2058
10th June 2012, 10:13 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard jump over to the intros and say gday mate, something we ask all members, cheers

narna
10th June 2012, 10:18 AM
yep just done that thanks any help with the question mate

growler2058
10th June 2012, 10:34 AM
The K's would read what ever the dash he put in said when it was taken from the donor vehicle. But dont know theres any way of checking that he in fact has changed the dash and that its not the original?????

97_gq_lwb
10th June 2012, 10:46 AM
You could do a vechile history check they should write the k.s down every time it has changed hands in nsw they do a vechile inspection every year and the k's are recorded.

growler2058
10th June 2012, 10:49 AM
You could do a vechile history check they should write the k.s down every time it has changed hands in nsw they do a vechile inspection every year and the k's are recorded.

Thats handy ay! We dont even have roadworthys here in SA

04OFF
10th June 2012, 11:07 AM
Ask when and why he changed it and what he did with the old speedo, i suspect he will not have the old one to show you.

Be very suspect on this situation, check the wear on the inside of the car, obviously 470Ks id expect a twice more wear than just 240Ks, look at the the pedal rubbers , steering wheel, gear knob , drivers seat etc, or any other signs of excess wear or just a cover up.

Also check service papers/history, ask where it got serviced (and talk to them) etc, see if you can discover any service/ work that had higher than 240Ks recorded on paper, also if it had done close to 240Ks at a service interval 7 years ago, id be very suspect also, make sure you do a online vehicle history check as well.

Now Ks are not "everything" when it comes to cars, but regardless of what anyone tells you, you are still buying a car with 470,000Ks, if you still love the car, and this is the only drawback, i suggest you tell the guy he needs to get the speedo kilometers changed before you will buy it (there are people that do this proffesionally and legally)

He needs to retain a reciept for this work, then he needs to fill out and sign a Statutory declaration, stating "he" has replaced the speedo while under his ownership, and for what reason, also taking note of the kilometers and where the replacement speedo was purchased from.

By him doing this, you are then buying a car with 240Ks, not 570Ks (but has had a legit speedo replacement), Id suspect if he is dodge he will not agree to any of the above, and id steer clear, unless of course its very very cheap, and your happy to buy a car with 470Ks ,but it must be priced like one done 470Ks, or your the "NARNA" getting ripped.

narna
10th June 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys i wonder if a mechanic could hook it up and check the computer to see how many kms its has done or would it just read the dash kms

mudski
13th June 2012, 08:39 PM
Tread very carefully. If it were me, I would walk away. I didn't with my latest purchase not too long ago and I got burnt. Stupid me for jumping in to quick.