PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum hose diameter size

Bad-Trol
9th June 2012, 12:22 PM
I know this is basic, but I want to replace all my vacuum hoses (some have been rubbing and wearing, will replace with tougher hose).
Need to order new hoses, does anyone know what size the standard hose is? I'm guessing 3mm, but I see on the net there are variations of 2-5mm available.
Also, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use silicone hoses?

Cheers

mudski
9th June 2012, 04:32 PM
As long as your silicone hose is vacuum rated then its fine. The silicone is not tougher though. Actually weaker than rubber. If the hose is rubbing against something. Silicone has a higher temp rating than rubber. Plus it looks cooler than rubber :D
http://www.spareco.com.au/SILICONE-HOSE/VACUUM-TUBING/SILICONE-VACUUM-TUBING/pl.php
As for size. By memory its 3mm. Your local hose shop will sell what you need. I've even seen it in Supercheap, Repco etc etc on rolls and sold by the metre.

tony78
10th June 2012, 08:09 AM
can anyone tell me how many mtrs are needed to replace all vacuum lines

mudski
10th June 2012, 09:31 PM
Mate that something you will have to work out. Grab a tape measure, open the hood and measure away. It's cheap to buy. Get 10metres and you have heaps..

Bad-Trol
11th June 2012, 12:15 PM
As long as your silicone hose is vacuum rated then its fine. The silicone is not tougher though. Actually weaker than rubber. If the hose is rubbing against something. Silicone has a higher temp rating than rubber. Plus it looks cooler than rubber :D
http://www.spareco.com.au/SILICONE-HOSE/VACUUM-TUBING/SILICONE-VACUUM-TUBING/pl.php
As for size. By memory its 3mm. Your local hose shop will sell what you need. I've even seen it in Supercheap, Repco etc etc on rolls and sold by the metre.

I really wish I could walk in somewhere and buy something as simple as replacement hoses, but there isn't anyone here like that! I pretty much order everything off the net.

I've replaced the hoses that were rubbing with braided fuel line hoses that a mate had lying around his shed, that should solve THAT problem ;), next is the other hoses... Because I can!

Cheers though, ordering 3mm hose today ;)

Bad-Trol: 2004 GU3 ST-L. 2" OME lift and nitrocharger shocks with Airbag Man rear airbags and In-Cab gauge and controls, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, AVM manual locking hubs, PWR radiator, Cross Country 4x4 intercooler with PWR core and thermo fan, PatrolDocta Stainless Steel airbox, Beaudesert 2 3/4" full Stainless Steel Exhuast, Dawes Valve, Catch Can, EGR block, Stepmotor Boost and EGT gauges, Dual Battieries, RedArc isolator, 47l ARB fridge on Outback Drawers with fridge slide, Rigid Industries 40" LED light bar(front) and twin diffused Dually's (rear) on Rhino Pioneer Tray roof rack, Lightforce XGT pencil spotties, TJM underbody radiator protection, GME 3440 handset, ARB compressor, plus more to come ;)

Bad-Trol
20th June 2012, 10:02 AM
Just an update...
3mm hose arrived the other day... Although the inner diameter is smaller than the original, I can stretch it to fit. However I'm now concerned it may interfere with the performance.

Any thoughts?

Bad-Trol: 2004 GU3 ST-L. Sent from my iPhone