PDA

View Full Version : elec probs with gas setup

mudmav
9th June 2012, 09:04 AM
hi my 1989 maverick has a ELKO ISSE little black box , but wires running from it to tank have been cut at tank red/black with a blue wire taped to outside of these wires , so 3 wires in all .
dont know how why what but wirses are removed and cut at tank blue removed red/black cut , have re joined the redblack wires to solenoid as power came on to red wire when you cahnged over switch to gas . the blue wire figured it was for the gauge but it also is live when changed to gas , petrol cuts out in middle position of switch solenoid at tank does magnetize but very weakly the post it sits on is dirty stained off colour i put a bolt through the actuator and set it off and bolt was stuck fast , does anyone have a circuit diagram of a similar setup as i think its fairly old mav:sterb003: was made in 89 id say gas was put in before 93 so its fairly old , although fuel gauge inside is led so has had some bits replaced over the years also has new converter .and tank is stamped 07.
can anyone help please .

97_gq_lwb
9th June 2012, 09:41 AM
On gas their should be a safety cut out it can be either ignition operated from the earth terminal on the coil or vacuum operated.
It will run power to the safety cut of solenoids to open them up and turn them off when the engine isn't running .

mudmav
9th June 2012, 06:39 PM
sorry not quite understanding what your getting at had another loook at it today and found the solenoids were sticking a bit but are now operating ok i think especially the tank one so it must be the convertor one thats the problem if i cant get a wiring diagram will go back to basics and undo outlet pipe operate solenoid see if gas comes out then go to next point and repeat see if i can find problem that way .
i do have an earth connection from the black box to coil i think they call it pulse from memory .

thanks for that

97_gq_lwb
9th June 2012, 07:13 PM
If the engine isn't running it will turn the power off to the cut off valves and close them does that make sense ?

mudmav
9th June 2012, 11:03 PM
yes it does im with you now , and that is exactly what happens because when you switch from middle to gas you hear the solenoids click and then the car stalls i actually switch over just before it runs out of petrol and leave barn doors open , like i said i wish i had a wiring diadram just to make sure switch wires and gauge wires were on the right way but when you go from petrol to the middle position no power to any solenoid even the petrol one and when you swittch to gas you get power two the other two solenoids gas bottle and gas regulator is it ,but that only lasts for a moment as soon as car stalls no power to solenoid .
like i said if i cant find anyone with a diagram maybe i will do a simple test by dissconnecting the outlet pipe from from tank at solenoid and see if i get flow when activated then go to regulator and see if i get flow when activated , noticed valve on top of gas line where it goes into carby and its straight up and down to me thats off but it says power adj so im thinking this may be for tuning the gas input but dont know which is why im asking the newbie questions .

i understand what you are saying but how do i get it running and whats the wiring hook up for the gauge .

thanks robert

97_gq_lwb
10th June 2012, 08:25 AM
Their are numerous gauges senders tanks so posting brand part numbers etc would help with wiring taking pics would help as well.
Sounds to me like it is working fine otherwise are you sure their is gas in the tank ?

mudmav
10th June 2012, 07:33 PM
the computer if you can call it that is an ELKO 1SSE and has one wire to ground one wire to pulse goes to negative side of coil one wire to solenoid which it does and one wire labeled 12 volt . now the wires there are three running down to the tank two are together in a casing red black and a third which is taped to this and is a blue wire , ifigure it has something to do with the gauge .
the wires in the case are red black the wires in the solenoid tank case which have all been cut are red black so i figure its safe to assume that these just join together , that is the red black combo dont know what to do about the blue wire ,red wire becomes active when switched to gas but becomes inactive as car stalls blue wire becomes active when switched over to gas , black does not appear to be a straight gound but its not a power wire either .
carby is impco and i would say its an old set up maybe with a few upgrades here and there the fuel gauge is an led type in the cabin and the converter looks like its been replaced maybe 1 to 2 years ago .
tank is in date so its not the original tank , unfortunately my computer wont let me do pictuers at the moment so im stuck there but im sure if i had a wioring diagram i could nut it out ,tank says its 1/4 full and its a 100+ litre tank is this enough in tank to work do you think we have unbolted it to check and its about right without weighing it there is plenty of liquid in there , so the tank gauge is working at least .as i said above if it comes down to it and i cant find a wiring diagram tonight i may take the outlet pipe off the tank solenoid and activate see if gas comes out then move up to each side of converter see if i can work it out that way if i cant get a guru in the mean time but a wiring diagram for an elko 1SSE would be a start and a big help , not easy to find on the net they all say get it here then lead off somewhere else got sick of it in the end was just wasting my time which is why i came here and an lpg forum but have had no answer on it so far

thank you for helping robert

97_gq_lwb
10th June 2012, 08:27 PM
Have you tried searching google for impco installation instructions also the brand of your gas tank.
The gauges are very similar to a normal fuel gauge in the way they work . It was quite a few years back but i actually wired mine up to the dash fuel gauge as the led fuel gauges are pretty useless .

If you feed your own power to the cut off solenoids does it run on lpg.

mudmav
11th June 2012, 08:06 AM
no it just does not seem to be getting any gas from the converter , like i said you put the three way switch in middle posi so solenoid for petrol cuts out and wait a bit then switch to gas and when petrol runs out in carby it just stalls , you can flatten the battery trying to restart on gas , there is no gas smell at all so im assuming gas is not getting from the converter but im sure its getting to the converter ok .
very interested in your fuel gauge conversion if you have the mud map still in your memory bank , your right about the gas digital gauges being crap ,my brother in law has a GQ on gas but its a new install might have a look at how his gauge is wired up , i cant believe you would put 12 volts to one of the gauge pins and earth the other so i will see how his is done .
but i had a look at one (maverick) 1990 model with what looked to be an old set up at a car park and the tank had the red wire from solenoid jumped to gauge pin or looped to gauge pin from the solenoid so there must be a number of different setups and if its not right maybe you wont get gas to come out through the converter .
looking like undoing the pipe work and activating the solenoid is the only way to go if i cant get anything from looking up impco cause i get zip looking up the Elko 1sse relay box .

thanks again for your tips cant tell you how much it helps .

robert

mudmav
11th June 2012, 10:50 AM
got it she runs , she wont start on gas and runs a bit rough and only runs above 1200 rpm otherwise it stalls but if you flick over to petrol for a sec while cranking she will go , i may try tuning now that i have the impco diagrams that you gave me , the problem was the tank must have been out for a while and a mud wasp had built a nest in the outlet line from the tank so i was getting gas from the tank but not up to the convertor so cleaned that out wityh compressed air and water and away she went now she needs a tune and the gauge wired up and all done .
i knew it would have to have enough gas its capacity is 115 litres and 1/4 full would still be a fair whack of gas at least 25 litres usable ,so mystery solved on on to the next guage for fuel , i have one blue wire which becomes active with 12 vots when gas system is switched on and its taped to solenoid wires so i guess it must be for gauge but is there a neg pos terminal and if so what is the other wire is it just a ground/earth . if you dont no it maybe a trip to brother in laws to see what his system is wired up like .
thanks again for your help.

97_gq_lwb
11th June 2012, 11:20 AM
Well the one i had worked like any other fuel gauge it has variable resistance to ground i'd assume they are all the same setup though the senders on the tanks vary to set it up using the factory gauge i had to chase a sender on the gas tank with the right range the same as the original petrol sender unit.

mudmav
11th June 2012, 06:52 PM
im with you the same OHM range , ive now tuned it and it purrs like a kitty on gas but i may need to back it off a bit idles a bit high and when on petrol wont idle at all so just need to back it off a smidge but my god was it easy to start on gas just a quick flick on the key and away she went ,so yeah its just the gauge now have to get it through a roadworthy so may put some dummy wires on it and hide em up and through the gas gauge says full inside the unit so its just a matter of filling up before i take it in .
thanks for the tips by the way for all the posts i put out there even the lpg auto site you have been the only one prepared to try and help me for that im truly gratefull , i will do an ohms test on the gauges see if they are compatible or not and go from there not really worried too much about the gauge for gas really last car i used the trip counter knew i could get 430 odd ks to a tank so filled up at 400 just need to do the same with this find out how many ks i get out of a full tank on the trip counter record it and then i know may take a couple of fills to get a good average but got to drive it anyway also have to find out about the fuel tank its a long range one for the petrol so need to do the same here its gauge is not working either but from what i hear thats a fault with the models or a good majority of them .

anyway thanks heaps

robert