PDA

View Full Version : Intercoolers on zd30 gu 3? advice on upgrades, are they worth it?

Mark The Maybe Newbie
7th June 2012, 06:29 PM
Hello Guys

I am about to purchase a GU (111) from a dealer but an inspection has found an irreparable leak in the inter cooler. The dealer is paying for a stock newbie. Is it worth chipping in for an upgrade to an alloy unit? Any learned advice appreciated. I am interested in better power? fuel eco? happier engine? anti grenade. Thanks a lot for your help so far.

Mark

BillsGU
7th June 2012, 08:33 PM
I bought an ASE aftermarket (about $950) with fan. I had some problems installing it and even now I still have trouble with the hoses blowing off. The clamps they provided were garden hose variety crap, and the slippery silicone hoses are difficult to clamp. Having said that - the aftermarket systems are usually cheaper than the original and more efficient.

boots
7th June 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Mark , replaced mine bout 6 months ago now . rang and shopped around aswell as research here . ended up with a PWR performance changeover unit $700 plus post . so far so good .

adventurepaul
8th June 2012, 12:49 AM
I just got mine recored with a PWR core for $490. Look on ebay as a few people sell them exchange. Very happy with mine.

Bad-Trol
8th June 2012, 12:05 PM
Hey mate,
Installed a Cross-Country 4x4 intercooler with PWR core and thermo fan about 3 months ago, love it, easy to install, just watch the vacuum lines under the passenger side of the new unit going in, I crushed them with out realizing and caused all sorts of issues. Just moved them aside and all was fine.

A bit expensive, but love it, looks tough through the bonnet scoop too!
(note the blue silicone, that was extra, u you can use the existing hose from the old intercooler)

The thermo fan is great for drawing air through the cooler while your standing still and sits under the cooler.

scotty83
8th June 2012, 12:56 PM
Check out this thread. If you have the cash though can't go past the CrossCountry

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4551-3.0L-Replacement-Intercoolers

Rumcajs
11th June 2012, 09:15 PM
I have CC intercooler and it is a work of art as well as it works. I had a look at ASE unit and I didn't like it, a bit crude and not that much cheaper. Another option is A.S.E, they do replacement/changeover again cheaper than CC unit but I wanted the fan as well for low range work. Definitely don't buy another Nissan useless toy of an intercooler.
Cheers

Fred Schenck
16th June 2012, 06:37 PM
I have put in a 4X4 Cross Country intercooling and fan and it has enhance the power signicantly and reduce exhaust temp at top ent by 50C.

Highly recommended

Fred

ssoac
18th June 2012, 03:52 AM
This is really Nice, do you know of any dealer for America, I live in Costa Rica, so the shipping costs from AU will be kind of higher.
thanks

Fred Schenck
18th June 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi ssoac. Don't know of anyone in America. Maybe contact Cross Country 4X4 at http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/articles.php?articleid=47&page=1

This is really Nice, do you know of any dealer for America, I live in Costa Rica, so the shipping costs from AU will be kind of higher.
thanks

Rumcajs
17th October 2013, 06:03 PM
This seems like interesting option, indeed seems very good value for money -->

ZD30 intercooler $380 + postage and no exchange required (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300986345264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

june
18th October 2013, 08:18 AM
i have the crosscountry with fan on the underside of ic. very happy with quality though a bit pricey. for better performance and reliability a bigger exhaust, snorkel, and definitely nad it as the GU111 is one of those grenade's.

threedogs
18th October 2013, 08:26 AM
@ Rumcajs Great price seeing the cores are only $60 to buy $320 to weld is way over the top IMO but what can you do.
As for CC cooler cant justify that price for what you'll get in return,

I used the diesel Smart intercooler, {forum sponser} Pressure tested to 60 psi and 5 year warranty, very happy

june
18th October 2013, 01:14 PM
what ever ic you look at get one with welded tanks as the Nissan tanks are only crimped together with a o-ring and will leak over time.

Rumcajs
18th October 2013, 06:58 PM
@ Rumcajs Great price seeing the cores are only $60 to buy $320 to weld is way over the top IMO but what can you do.
As for CC cooler cant justify that price for what you'll get in return,

I used the diesel Smart intercooler, {forum sponser} Pressure tested to 60 psi and 5 year warranty, very happy

Well, considering that Mr Nissan is asking ~$1200 for its POS of an intercooler than the Ebay unit is a winner don't care how much is/are cores. I can't weld ally like that so I "happily" pay I suppose for Mr Nissan sloppy el cheapo assembly/works.
For some reason "Diesel Smart" intercooler looks suspiciously identical to the Ebay unit. Same price?
I have CC intercooler and I'm extremely happy with it, at the time the choice was between $1,200 for Nissan POS or $1,200 for the top of the line aftermarket unit. I'm sure I'd be seriously considering that Ebay unit instead had it been available than.

Cheers

Waza
8th January 2014, 10:12 PM
I installed an eBay unit today & it is doing its job no probs. $ 375 plus freight 5 year warranty too !
I like that it's welded not crimped & has more cooling surface area than the std Nissan pos ic.

Cheers

Waza

pduke
23rd February 2014, 10:28 PM
Hi Waza
I'm looking at a similar intercooler, I'm interested to find out how yours is going.
Peter

pduke
23rd February 2014, 10:34 PM
Hi Waza
I'm looking at a similar intercooler, I'm interested to find out how yours is going.
Peter

PATROL KING
24th February 2014, 08:06 AM
I installed a ARE intercooler 4 years ago , has much better flow rate the OME and larger cooling area all welded, have had no probs and EGT`s dropped off by 50 degrees. Very happy well worth the money.

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 12:29 PM
Having the ASE for nearly two years now - I would never buy another one. If I had to do it again I would get my original one re cored and welded, plus I would add a fan. I have finally sorted out the ASE one. I got hold of an IC mounting bracket out of a CRD (mine is a direct injection) and modified it to accept the IC. A lot of mucking around but all is now good.

pduke
24th February 2014, 01:57 PM
Hi Patrol King, ARE have a couple of different intercoolers which one did you get?

threedogs
24th February 2014, 03:38 PM
reading another thread it may pay to see if the
engine cover is touching the IC and wearing a hole in it'
Lot a $$$$ down the drain if it is, and may lead to failure
when you least expect it to

meh
24th February 2014, 08:12 PM
Got mine from Hi-tech in archerfield $500

Jimbo4x4
28th February 2014, 06:09 PM
Hi I've just fitted a Cross country one on mine with a fan it's a work of art ! The EGT'S are down about 50 degrees +. Now it gets to about 650 degrees max when in sand or up steep climbs, Before it would climb to 700 + and keep going so i had to back off ! Love it. I've also just ordered a larger bonnet scoop from Fairline fibreglass $285 to your door. I have his mobile number if needed.

paulyg
28th February 2014, 06:46 PM
HI Jimbo, I think 650 degrees is a bit to hot, I wouldn't let mine get that hot.

oddkid82
28th February 2014, 07:49 PM
Hi I've just fitted a Cross country one on mine with a fan it's a work of art ! The EGT'S are down about 50 degrees +. Now it gets to about 650 degrees max when in sand or up steep climbs, Before it would climb to 700 + and keep going so i had to back off ! Love it. I've also just ordered a larger bonnet scoop from Fairline fibreglass $285 to your door. I have his mobile number if needed.

Hey is there a website for the scoop?
I can't seem to find one.
Have you got any pics of your new scoop?

Hodge
28th February 2014, 08:00 PM
HI Jimbo, I think 650 degrees is a bit to hot, I wouldn't let mine get that hot.

Yeh that's what I thought, it seems a tad too high. I've seen mine hit 550 once and that was hammering it in 5th up a slightly inclining road. After feeding the dawes/needle, I've yet to see it go over 400. I think the factory sat-up did a piss poor job with the boost, so now it breathes better.
My Diesel smart IC should arrive Monday, so will be interesting if it makes any difference over a tad leaking factory one.

paulyg
28th February 2014, 08:19 PM
Mine will go to 650 degrees easily if I let it, but I never let it go over 550.

Maughany
1st March 2014, 12:11 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Patrol-GU-ZD30-CRD-Intercooler-Kit-/231148679044?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d188ef84

bit late asking now as i have already brought it and have it at home but anyone got any info on this brand?

threedogs
1st March 2014, 12:18 PM
@ Maughany way too pricey you wont get any benefit from the fan unless you do heaps of sand driving
you should be able to buy a tig welded IC for around $4-500, keep shopping

threedogs
1st March 2014, 12:22 PM
Got mine from Hi-tech in archerfield $500
Had to race out and see if my motor was still there LOL

Maughany
1st March 2014, 12:51 PM
@ Maughany way too pricey you wont get any benefit from the fan unless you do heaps of sand driving

hey mate i prefer beach driving so thats ok and yeah im realising it was rather pricey but shit its here now lol

BillsGU
1st March 2014, 03:43 PM

A fan will help in any off road or towing situation where you are going slowly. The scoop will not force much air through at slow speed. My fan has a manual ON/OFF switch and I notice the difference in the under bonnet temperature when it is on when driving slowly. The fan not only helps the IC but also seems to keep the overall under bonnet temperature much lower. Can only be a good thing I think.

Jimbo4x4
2nd March 2014, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=oddkid82;484967]Hey is there a website for the scoop?
I can't seem to find one.
Have you got any pics of your new scoop?[/QUOTE

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26092-GU-Bonnet-Scoop&highlight=bonnet+scoop

Hi oddkid82 I couldn't find a web site and my scoop is in the paint shop at the moment. But if you click on the link above Stropp has the same scoop on his Patrol.
Hope that helps.

Jimbo4x4
2nd March 2014, 05:05 PM

Yeah i agree paulyg but CRD patrols run a lot hotter than 4.2 and DI 3.0 .
CRD's can handle 650 degrees but just don't keep it there for long !

Jimbo4x4
2nd March 2014, 05:23 PM
Yeh that's what I thought, it seems a tad too high. I've seen mine hit 550 once and that was hammering it in 5th up a slightly inclining road. After feeding the dawes/needle, I've yet to see it go over 400. I think the factory sat-up did a piss poor job with the boost, so now it breathes better.
My Diesel smart IC should arrive Monday, so will be interesting if it makes any difference over a tad leaking factory one.
Hi Hodge

It got me worried the first but I only get these temp's when towing a 1.5 ton camper with the truck fully loaded up very steep hills ( mountains lol ) with my foot flat to the floor. And only seen 550 degrees in very soft sand without the camper a couple of times. Towing makes a heap of difference to the EGTs up steep hills.

You say your only getting a max of 400 degrees with the dawes/needle fitted, how much boost are you seeing ? and did you notice less power after you fitted it ?