PDA

View Full Version : GQ - Locking Front Hubs

xamrab
7th June 2012, 02:17 AM
I am looking for clarification on a point regarding manual locking of the front wheels of my GQ II ST wagon (96).

I was under the impression that when the front wheels were locked and I was in 4H or 4L all wheels would turn together. Recently, just north of Wedge Island, I became bogged in the dunes. I noticed the rear wheels and front passenger wheels were spinning but the driver front wheel was doing nothing. Is this normal or do I have a mechaniical fault?

I have asked around and I get different answers.

Thanks.

growler2058
7th June 2012, 03:17 AM
Your front diff is an open wheel diff ad what you've described is normal. The only way to counter is with diff locks either auto or air/elec. the rear LSD of a patrol is a tuff unit so most people would only add a locker to the front. But to obtain true 4wd ie all turning the same you would need to lock both

Tapp tillya Crap

the evil twin
7th June 2012, 11:10 AM
X2 with Growlers...

Perfectly normal on any 4WD (not just a Patrol) that doesn't have a Locker fitted to the front diff.

When you get mired the front wheel with the least traction will spin and the one with most traction will be held stationary

xamrab
8th June 2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info. Thought I had broken it. I know what is next on my shopping list. Does anyone know the trick to getting out of sand dunes when you accidentally drive into the soft stuff and you are on your lonesome?

Thanks again

growler2058
8th June 2012, 12:44 AM
Max trax are a good self recovery aid and a shovel hahahaha;-)

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Thought I had broken it. I know what is next on my shopping list. Does anyone know the trick to getting out of sand dunes when you accidentally drive into the soft stuff and you are on your lonesome?

Thanks again

Let air out of your tyres! Allot of Air. If your on road pressure like it sound like you might have been then dump all of the air until you think it is getting ridiculous then let some more out ;)

Move the bow wave of sand away from the front of your tryes, let the tyres down to 13 or 14psi and gently drive away. No big foot accelerator! once your moving then momentum is your friend and wheel spin is your enemy.

MaxTrax and a shovel are a winner too but you should be using them with air out too mate.

xamrab
8th June 2012, 01:21 PM
MaxTrax. Must check into those. I went down to 15 psi but my other problem was I was on a slope and the vehicle wanted to go sideways. I was speaking to my brother-in-law and he went down to 8psi when he was stranded by himself on the beach down at Augusta.

Really appreciate the feedback.