PDA

View Full Version : ECU issues!!??

Kurt W
6th June 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi all,
Bought my 03 ST - ZD30 about 3 weeks ago.
A few days later the check engine light (mill light) came on - I assumed it was water in the diesel filter after pumping fuel from the sub tank, as draining filter and re-starting the light was off.
However the light seem to stay on after starting about every second day ( or about once every 10 starts), the rest of the time it would not come on.
Started to worry, and had the ecu error codes checked and cleared at my local nissan service centre to see what was causing the problem. Their diagnosis: internal ecu failure - short answer: replace ecu!! $2.5k!!
I just said, thanks, but no-thanks!!
Made Google my friend that night - and came up with one post on another site, with someone that had the ecu replaced 3 times back to back - all with internal ecu failure problem. As a last resort he took it to a mechanic who suggested cleaning the bank of earth connections(3 of them) on the left side of the rocker cover. - apparently one of these was listed as the ecu earth connection.!?
So I did that straight away that night, and I also disconnected the battery for 30 mins to reset the ecu as posted around here.
Well I'm not sure what it was but since doing all this the mill light has not come on again, and it has been about 10 days and many engine starts later!!! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Anyone else out there with similar issues or advice???

Cheers Kurt

big_fletch
6th June 2012, 08:54 PM
The ZD30's are very touchy with earths so would not suprise me if this was an issue, I have cleaned mine before (not for any reason, just looked abit iffy) Hopefully solves your problem mate, there are alot better things to spend $2.5k on lol

Kurt W
4th July 2012, 10:03 AM
It's been more than a month now and 2000km later an all still good!!

97_gq_lwb
4th July 2012, 10:29 AM
I remember reading something similar about the nissan anti theft or nats a lot of people were throwing away money at a nissan dealer only to find it was a bad earth connection.