PDA

View Full Version : snatch point ?

gowalkabout.com.au
6th June 2012, 06:28 PM
can anyone confirm that the "hoop" bolted to the bumperbar above the towbar on the GU8 (and i asume other GU's) is a rated snatch point?

I asked the blokes at the nissan dealership today and considering i ended up with 4 of them walking around the rig scrathing their heads before 1 got out the owners manual and said yes it is i'm not filled with confidance.
on past rigs i have had heavy duty snatch points or used the tow pin (not the towball) so would like to know the best rear snatch point before i end up in a position of needing it.

Thanks

TimE
6th June 2012, 06:34 PM
My understanding is NO.

It can be used as a tow point but not a snatch point. The reference in the owners manual should call it a Towing point.

As an indication of the forces involved, a mate of mine doing his engineering degree did some shock testing of snatch straps, the results being Hit the 8 tonne limit about 14 km/hr, around 13 tonne at about 21 km/hr. Exceeded the SWL of 2x rating (theoretically) at about 27 km/hr

Winnie
6th June 2012, 06:36 PM
TimE I'd spot on. It's a tow point, not a recovery point

Tappa tappa

growler2058
6th June 2012, 06:40 PM
Definately DONT USE AS A SNATCH POINT

NissanGQ4.2
6th June 2012, 07:28 PM
Definately DONT USE AS A SNATCH POINT

x2, Do not under any circumstance use that loop in a snatch recovery, it is not rated.

TimE is correct in that it may be used as a tow point, but I personally wouldn't even use it as that..............unbolt it and throw it in the bin.

Bulbous
6th June 2012, 08:50 PM
X3 - I wouldn't use it for anything.
I got mine replaced by a Pintle Hook, which is absolutely fine for the sort of recoveries that I do - All sand which is pretty easy going. I'd think twice before I used even the Pintle for a deep mud recovery.

Finly Owner
6th June 2012, 10:09 PM
Not a Snatch point!

Dingo55
7th June 2012, 07:01 AM
on ST models after about 2004 the mounting tower that U bolt attachs too is welded to the rear sub-frame and the welding is very average. I fitted a kaymar bar to my '06 GU & had to remove that mounting tower - see part # 51132 on page 2 of attached pdf. Was very simple to do - cutting disc on grinder, sliced through the welding on four sides where it's welded (tacked) to the rear sub-frame but if you saw the factory welds you'd shake you head in amasement - very pedestrain. Don't know which would let go first if you snatched or recovered on the U bolt, probably the U bolt but that tower & it's welds would suffer stress / damage too. In any case, as advised above - don't use it for a snatch or recovery point. If your trol doesn't have the mounting tower then replacing the U bolt with a rated fitting might offer a safe option, depending on tensile strength of the bolts used, but you'd still be loading the rear frame at a single point vice distributing the load if you used a yoke off two recovery points at the rear to attach your snatch / recovery device (strap, chain, cable)

cheers

mudski
9th June 2012, 04:40 PM
can anyone confirm that the "hoop" bolted to the bumperbar above the towbar on the GU8 (and i asume other GU's) is a rated snatch point?

I asked the blokes at the nissan dealership today and considering i ended up with 4 of them walking around the rig scrathing their heads before 1 got out the owners manual and said yes it is i'm not filled with confidance.
And if you did use it as a snatch point, going by the advise from the salesman, and you had a catastrophic failure and caused great injury or damage. You would have walked straight back in and pointed the finger at him? I would.
In short. Even if the book says yes. Don't. Buy some decent plates that are bolted to the chassis rail.