PDA

View Full Version : air intake set up

jazza
6th June 2012, 01:29 PM
hi forum just wanted to ask if anyone has changed the intake system on thier gq patrol from the original one as i found underneath the filter housing the intake pipe closes off to about a half inch then back to the fat tubing?? more air the better right?

nissannewby
6th June 2012, 01:49 PM
GU air boxes bolt into the front left corner and flow a lot better than the factory GQ ones then its just a matter of pipework

AB
6th June 2012, 01:54 PM
Hi mate, on the TD42 a lot of people adapt the GU standard or and aftermarket turbo system and change the entire set up.

Straight intake pipe to intake manifold along with the entire airbox on top gets taken off. Install intake elbow to intake manifold followed by cross over pipe to turbo then use the standard GU or aftermarket pipe to GU filter located in corner of engine bay.

I have seen the original Pizza Box style one cut underneath with a larger pipe pop rivet back on used on a Denco turbo as well.

Before I put the turbo on I also cut the square end off the Pizza box airbox intake and welded a 4" round pipe to it to adapt onto the 4" stainless steel snorkel but this was done knowing a turbo will be coming down the track and wanting more air of course.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/batty626/hoseclamps.jpg?t=1301788376

AB
6th June 2012, 01:54 PM
GU air boxes bolt into the front left corner and flow a lot better than the factory GQ ones then its just a matter of pipework

Beat me...LMAO

jazza
6th June 2012, 07:28 PM
thanks for the pic thats a cracka mate i rekon i might try give that a go cheers for your help guys

AB
6th June 2012, 09:29 PM
I can't find my post on how I did this but it was a bit of a pain.

The round pipe doesnt match up to the square pipe of course so I tack welded some small plates to the gaps. and silocone the left over bits.

Kind of like my dodgy example below...

Take the airbox off, slip the pipe over and cut and weld plates to suit the gaps really.

AB
6th June 2012, 09:39 PM
Here's a picture of a modified Pizza Box underneath and a very expensive ticket on a GQ too...lol

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MAVRICK-NISSAN-PATROL-TD42-TURBO-MINT-CONDITION-LOW-KMS-/180900552219?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a1e835e1b#ht_530wt_1344