PDA

View Full Version : 100 amp alternator?

Bad-Trol
6th June 2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

My alternator is starting to make some fantastic noises so I think I need to get the pulley changed. But I'm wondering while I'm at it, and have a few extra dollars this month, is whether its worth putting a new 100 amp unit in? With 2 batteries and adding a trailer down the road with 2 more batteries, I think it might be worth while, but what problems (installation and otherwise) might I expect?

big_fletch
6th June 2012, 01:38 PM
What sort of engine is in your troll?

Yendor
6th June 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm guessing you have a ZD30 going by the pulley noise comment.

I know you can get a replacement 90 amp alternator that bolt straight up, not sure about a 100 amp one.

I wouldn't bother repairing your old one, I would just get a new one with the solid pulley.

Bad-Trol
6th June 2012, 11:09 PM
What sort of engine is in your troll?

Sorry, its the ZD30Di

Lieney
7th June 2012, 08:03 PM
New or Reco. Consider the price difference and warranty. Including a one-for-one.
The current capacity is regulated by the design and makeup of the stator windings through the middle.
An auto-elec may be able to re-build your old one and fit an upgraded stator, increasing your output.This may cost far less than a new one.
I am not sure about your particular alternator but have rebuild a few over the past 15 years for less than $100.
2 x bearings, pulley, brushes and springs, testing components, paint and cleaning.
In one case the voltage reg on an import car cost $175 trade, but that was an exception.
I will never buy a new alternator if I can buy parts to rebuild an old one.