PDA

View Full Version : 35" tyres gearing help.

makeitfit
6th June 2012, 08:25 AM
Hi guys and learned ones :bowdown:
I've just fitted Simex 35" muds and now have a Trol with a gear missing :confused:
I need your help to find the right cog to change please, and what size or number of teeth etc.
I have no idea where or what to change but guess there must be some gear cog to replace. So simple answers please :smiley_thumbs_up:

BigMav
6th June 2012, 09:00 AM
LOL, cog missing, I like it. Yeah mate you need to change your diff ratios to 4.6:1 to bring the gearing back to what it was from factory with 31" tyres. Depending on your mechanical experience this may not be a diy task.

makeitfit
6th June 2012, 09:16 AM
I'm pretty good at spanner juggling but not done any diff work yet! So learning time soon then :)
Can you advise what specifically I need to ask the nice man at the Nissan stealership ?
I was thinking about buying a LOKKA for the front diff anyway so could do the two at the same time I guess.

nissannewby
6th June 2012, 11:23 AM
If you can get a hold of complete centres that would make your life a lot easier just swap em out then. As for the lokka they are simple to install and there are a few blokes on here who have done it themselves.

97_gq_lwb
6th June 2012, 11:46 AM
Ratios can be all over the place
basically standard an rd28 is 4.6 , rb30 4.3 td42 ute 4.3 or 4.1, td42 wagon 4.1,
tb42 wagon 3.9 and 4.1 apparently, their was someone on here saying something recently about they were making new gears at a reasonable price.

makeitfit
6th July 2012, 06:02 AM
Ratios can be all over the place
basically standard an rd28 is 4.6
Thanks for that, so to be sure, I need to find a 2.8 Patrol and liberate the diffs off it lol.
I've got rear diff lock on my Trol, will this still work on the 2.8 diff?

97_gq_lwb
6th July 2012, 10:42 AM
As far as i know you would just fit the 4.6 gears to the factory locker center.

makeitfit
6th July 2012, 07:34 PM
Right that all sounds good. I've been looking around for diffs here in UK and they're bloody expensive ?! More than I paid for the whole truck lol.
So I'm now thinking just to swap the complete axles from a 2.8 for mine. Do you know if the axles are the same except for the diff ratios?
Cheers again ;)

makeitfit
13th November 2012, 12:02 AM
Right I seem to have developed an annoying noise from the gearbox now (suspected input shaft bearings goosed).
So would it be any good to fit a 2.8 gear box complete to my 4.2 and so cure the ratio issues?
There's a 2.8 scrapper not far away so I'm after the axles already but would be handy if the box will fix things ;)

Clunk
13th November 2012, 01:23 AM
Not sure if the 2.8 gearbox would fit the 4.2........... I've heard the 4.2 petrol gearbox is the same as the 4.2 diesel but bell housing maybe different....... don't quote me on it though Cox I'm usually wrong lol

johno90
17th November 2012, 09:28 PM
2.8 gearbox completely different and really weak compared to 4.2l boxes, same with the diff's rb30 and i do believe 2.8 diffs were smaller centres? not 100% on that one

nissannewby
17th November 2012, 09:49 PM
Same diffs just a 4.6 ratio

johno90
17th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Awsum, handy bit of info considering im thinking about changing my ratios.

nissannewby
17th November 2012, 09:53 PM
Stick with genuines if you can. Even better if you can get complete centres and just bolt them in.

makeitfit
20th December 2012, 11:46 AM
Just acquired two complete axles from a 2.8 trol :) Going to service them up and swap diff lock then refit complete . Pics to follow after crimbo , cant wait.

makeitfit
2nd March 2013, 11:31 AM
Got some time at last to start the rebuild on my 2.8 axles :clapping:
I got them off a 2.8 Y61 and I found several bonus es ;) Bigger disc, twin pot calipers and stronger cv joints I think.
Damn their heavy though. A mate put one in the back of my van with his fork lift, then my son and I couldn't get the sod out :tongue:
So as he needed MORE pocket money AGAIN, I set him to work stripping it down in the van :clapping:
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv36/daudwpsyn/trol28axle5_zpsf1fddfb4.jpg
Eventually got the brakes off and the old hockey sticks , tightened my belt and lifted the bugger out the van :smiley_thumbs_up:
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv36/daudwpsyn/trol28axle12_zps17eae9ec.jpg
Hubs off tomorrow then I'll get the thing inside and prep for paint , mmmmm
On a roll at last, LOKKA ordered from that there USA due here in a week :groupwave:
Watch this space for the next bit soon..............................ish :cheers:

MudRunnerTD
2nd March 2013, 12:23 PM
Whole you have them stripped and some time think about bracing the front diff before you rebuild it. Great time to do this.

Bonus on the twin pot brakes as they are an expensive upgrade over here with guys chasing $500 or more for the calipers and disks. Nice one.

Your CVs will be standard unless the guy swapped them out for Comp Spec Chromoly in which case BONUS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makeitfit
2nd March 2013, 12:39 PM
Cool how do I brace my diff ? Sounds pervy lol
These will buff up a treat ;0 Will I need a different servo ?
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv36/daudwpsyn/trol28axle7_zps40fa742c.jpg