PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs

Cuppa
5th June 2012, 09:02 PM
Hi folks, please forgive me but this post does not concern my Patrol, but rather my Nissan Civilian bus.

It is leaning to one side.
In 2008, before we took it around Australia I had it's standard parabolic leaf springs 're-set' & a helper leaf added, (plus new adjustable Koni shocks all round).

About a month ago I took it back to the springworks (which has since changed hands) & the chap confirmed that the front & rear springs on the left hand side had sagged & recommended getting all springs replaced with new non parabolic springs. I was happy to go with his recommendation & he undertook to source some & let me know the cost. Trouble is he never got back to me. I called him two weeks later & he told me he'd forgotten & would get onto it that day & get back to me. Another two weeks later & I still haven't heard back from him, & that fact is making me question his professionalism & reliability. Trouble is there is nowhere else locally that I know of so it's looking like I'll need to travel to get this sorted. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere I might go to, closer to Gippsland the better, but I'll go a bit further if I have to to get an assessment & job that I can trust. Bairnsdale also has a springworks, does anyone know what they are like?

Thanks
Cuppa

Ps. The Civilian is 7 metres long & weighs around 5 tonnes if that helps to know whether a workshop you are thinking of can do the job.

Lieney
7th June 2012, 07:43 PM
Wodonga Springworks, High St Wodonga.

Cuppa
7th June 2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks Lieny, I got your PM. Seems you've now been able to post, but to assist anyone else looking for similar info in the future I'll add your PM below.

Leaf springs
For some reason I cannot post on your thread.
So here is what I can offer and hope it helps.
I had an old International C1300 van a while back converted to a motor home that had completely knackered springs. New did not exist as it was about 1960.
'Wodonga Springworks' on High St stripped, repaired, replaced broken leafs and re-sprung them front and rear, including fitting new machined bushes.
I removed & refitted them from the vehicle myself, including pins, shackles etc and Wodonga Springworks supplied everything I needed, as new.
I can't remember the fellow's name who ran the shop but he was pretty helpful, and gave me free advice on several other things.
Give em a call if you are willing to travel??
Although I had no drama with Wodonga Springworks, I become very assertive / pushy with people if they say they'll deliver on something on time, and they don't, especially when I am asking for the second time.

Feel free to post this for others, if you so desire