PDA

View Full Version : death wobble

jazza
5th June 2012, 05:19 PM
hi guys n gals i have recently come accross the death wobbles at around 80k's the old wheel tries to take over the only way to get it to stop is to wash off alot of speed vertially pull over i have just been looking up on some sites and they mentioned the panhard bushes but i went to check on mine now the outer lip is breaking apart on the bushes but there is no play in them what so ever still on ground when checked any help would be appreciated i also recently tightned up my steering box as the steering had quite a bit of play and that really helped on that issue

growler2058
5th June 2012, 05:28 PM
Mate check all your suspension bushes it can be any one of em! Jack it up and put it on stands is the only way you're gun a find out. Could also be swivel hub bearings or wheel bearings also

Tapp tillya Crap

4wdnut2012
7th June 2012, 04:09 AM
Hi, have a look at the following things they might help or eliminate them; steering dampner, steering dampner bushes, uneven tyre wear ( rotate the types). I hope this will help u like it did for me.

jazza
7th June 2012, 04:13 PM
cheers mate will do i'll give all the idea's you guys have past on

Gazza96
7th June 2012, 09:15 PM
my steering dampner bushes were starting to split, they were rubber,thought better replace em so bought a universal kit from auto barn they are neprerene fitted them now i have the death shakes... go figure?? is there a special way of fitting damper rubbers??

4wdnut2012
7th June 2012, 10:58 PM
I replaced the whole steering damper when i done mine. I don't think there is a special way to put them in. I just put them on.

jazza
11th June 2012, 01:24 PM
did changing the steering dampner fix the steering wheel wobbles?

Xfactor
11th June 2012, 01:30 PM
TRY wheel balance on car - I did all the suspension and rubbers and damper and then balance on car fixed it
Cheers

GQ TANK
11th June 2012, 11:48 PM
Swivel / king bearings are the most common cause.

To check jack a wheel up.

Grub the wheel at 12 & 6. Push back wards and forwards is there any movement - if so most likely Swivel / king bearings

Grub the wheel at 9 & 3. Push back wards and forwards is there any movement - if so most likely wheel bearing

Note if you do the Swivel / king bearings, I would do the wheel bearings as well

jazza
12th June 2012, 01:38 AM
no i had check that and there is no play on both wheels mate which was good to know 1 less thing to spend money on :D

4wdnut2012
13th June 2012, 12:44 AM
I get them every now and then, but it has calmed them heaps