PDA

View Full Version : spotties location

dirtaddict
4th June 2012, 06:51 PM
is it a wank to mount spotties on top of the bull bar jsut so the radiator and intercooler gets better flow on what is a street goin rig< that is not a comp truck ! i wanna run 4 hellas so they will have to go up top

healy
4th June 2012, 07:42 PM
Nah man I don't have a comp truck and my spot ties are on top of front bar

Trolatron
4th June 2012, 08:16 PM
Im a wnker and proud of it lol

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/IMAG2712-Copy.jpg

Plus they to big to fit inside the top hoop.

ghostrider_oz
4th June 2012, 09:03 PM
is it a wank to mount spotties on top of the bull bar jsut so the radiator and intercooler gets better flow on what is a street goin rig< that is not a comp truck ! i wanna run 4 hellas so they will have to go up top

Mate just be careful, check with you local RTA I know that in Tassie & I think NSW it is illegal to have anything above the bullbar (including rod rack) except antenna mounts, I recall that the guys from Tassie that went to Deny last year got a handbook that showed what was allowed in NSW and I am sure that was one of the things that was specifically mentioned,

Just my 2c worth (oops inflation 5c)

dirtaddict
4th June 2012, 09:25 PM
Hey trolatron thats a sick lookin bar , did you make that? . guess the hella`s are goin up top then hey , hopefullly don`t get pinned for it if it isn`t quite leagal .

Clunk
4th June 2012, 10:46 PM
Pretty sure isn't quite legal over here either.......... Something to do with not having your field of view being impaired and being able to see the road 11m in front of you with no obstructions
I think!!!!!!
Taps a lot!!!!!!

Woof
4th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure isn't quite legal over here either.......... Something to do with not having your field of view being impaired and being able to see the road 11m in front of you with no obstructions
I think!!!!!!
Taps a lot!!!!!!

Yep, totally illegal over here Clunky

Clunk
4th June 2012, 10:58 PM
Jeez I'm on a roll tonight....... Right I'm off to the burswood lol

Taps a lot!!!!!!

megatexture
5th June 2012, 12:38 AM
I think!!!!!!
Taps a lot!!!!!!

that was my understanding also being 11m infront

big_fletch
5th June 2012, 11:03 AM
It is pretty much illegal, but always looks tough lol

Trolatron
5th June 2012, 07:28 PM
Hey trolatron thats a sick lookin bar , did you make that? . guess the hella`s are goin up top then hey , hopefullly don`t get pinned for it if it isn`t quite leagal .

Yeh mate made the bar myself. Here is a link to it in my build up thread.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?358-Trolatron/page3

Finly Owner
6th June 2012, 11:11 PM
Your airflow thoughts are right on the money though. So why not look at smaller diameter ones, that you can point whre you need the light. And place them under the top bar. Get some mounting points welded on extra if need be.

Tim

dirtaddict
1st July 2012, 09:49 PM
well they`re on top , not 4 but 3 rallye 2000 with 55 watt hid`s , not bad 1 spot 2 spreads , being high on the bar makes it easy to get them way down the road without possum spotting , good angle i`m stoked ,
20 inch light bar next !

nissannewby
1st July 2012, 10:41 PM
I have lightforce 240's mounted on the top of mine and have asked dot and police and they couldnt tell me it was illegal.

97_gq_lwb
1st July 2012, 11:16 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy glasses then spot lights that big.
Is their any real benefit to using them.Unless your vision impaired.
I have small hella spotilights they are more then effective.
I really have never needed them though the standard low high beam has been good enough to see where i am going.

dirtaddict
2nd July 2012, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy glasses then spot lights that big.
Is their any real benefit to using them.Unless your vision impaired.
I have small hella spotilights they are more then effective.
I really have never needed them though the standard low high beam has been good enough to see where i am going.

you must never leave the city, try driving to burke at night !

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm with Dog Man illegal .nothing wider than 30mm allowed on top of bullbar from memory, personaly I run a 20" light bar, plenty of air flow plus 40" on the roof

97_gq_lwb
2nd July 2012, 09:05 PM
you must never leave the city, try driving to burke at night !
Driven plenty of dirt roads at night what is it about burke that would make it hard to see ?

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 09:21 PM
Bigger not always better, heaps of smaller HID lights around efficient as well. 6" HID with slimline ballasts 75-100 watt and 6000k would be the go IMO

Richo460
3rd July 2012, 12:02 PM
i was told by queensland transport that you are not allowed to have any lights on top of the bullbar or mounted on the roof or roof rack. can't see why they are illegal on the roof, looks good and not obstructing vision.

dirtaddict
3rd July 2012, 12:32 PM
Driven plenty of dirt roads at night what is it about burke that would make it hard to see ?

burke is just an example , my point is driving on country roads for me means a need for good lights , i`m making a bar the lights are fixed to that mounts to to the bull bar so i can remove them for suburban driving and put em back on when we go away . My mate has a 20 inch rigid industries lightbar on his truck and the spread is great but it was 700 bucks , my 3 hella`s with hid kits owe me 200 and they smash the light bar for brightness and distance ,

97_gq_lwb
3rd July 2012, 01:31 PM
So what is the point that's more what i am getting at do you think it is worth me fitting larger lights to see further ahead and have more time to react or is it more of a safety to warn oncoming traffic thing.
I just don't get it .

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah bit confused too, I run 20" and 40" bar, took off 75 watt HID 6000K spotties, you can only do 110 max. can't out drive the bars

taslucas
3rd July 2012, 02:18 PM
So what is the point that's more what i am getting at do you think it is worth me fitting larger lights to see further ahead and have more time to react or is it more of a safety to warn oncoming traffic thing.
I just don't get it .

Depends where you drive I suppose.... on a long straight flat road (out in the desert for example) nice far reaching lights are good to see off into the distance. Where I drive, I'm lucky to get an occasional 500 metre straight on the bitumen and usually can only see 100 metres at the most (in daylight) before the next corner, so far reaching lights aren't a priority fir me.

Tap, crackle, pop

dirtaddict
3rd July 2012, 05:22 PM
I just don't get it .

You do what suits you , if you don`t get it that up to you , if you don`t need them don`t use them , i don`t use slim fit condoms like you do cause i need bigger , its just different needs for different people .

Winnie
3rd July 2012, 05:26 PM
That last comment was pretty unnecessary mate...

97_gq_lwb
3rd July 2012, 06:12 PM
Had to delete what i wrote didn't think it was appropriate lol .
I don't know what your problem is i never mentioned anything about big spotlights being a substitute for anything else.

dirtaddict
3rd July 2012, 07:37 PM
Had to delete what i wrote didn't think it was appropriate lol .
I don't know what your problem is i never mentioned anything about big spotlights being a substitute for anything else.

witty ! not bad

macca
3rd July 2012, 07:44 PM
That last comment was pretty unnecessary mate...

Agree, that would have to be the worst post I have seen in 20odd months as a member